Help with Email errors

pmcwebs

Hey all,

I've got a client who is having trouble sending to one particular domain. He keeps getting the following error:

Reporting-MTA: dns; ipmail05.adl2.internode.on.net
Content-Type: text/plain

Final-Recipient: rfc822;Ryan.Deutrom@ingrammicro.com.au
Action: delayed
Remote-MTA: dns; [61.8.14.181]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.1.0 - Unknown address error 450-'4.4.1 Sender domain not found in DNS' (delivery attempts: 6)
Will-Retry-Until: 11 Mar 2008 17:45:25 +1030
I've checked his email settings and can't see an issue. I've sent a test message to the account in question and also received the error. I've researched the error and have been unable to solve it. Is it likely I have an issue with my dns entries? My clients account and my own account are on the same VPS.

Or perhaps the receiving domain has got problems with an overly aggressive mail filter?

Pete

What's the sender's domain?

It is being sent from my client linelink.com.au, although I get the same error when I send from my own domain.

I don't normally run outgoing email via my server, I run it via my local ISP, I'm wondering if the error is because the sending mail server doesn't match the senders domain. ie: We are both sending via mail.internode.on.net rather than for example mail.linelink.com.au

The error you were given would seem to indicate that they weren't able to resolve the sender's domain at all, but I suppose it could be related to the mismatch. Switching to your own SMTP may or may not help anything since it's advertising a different name as well:

# telnet linelink.com.au 25
Trying 205.209.134.15...
Connected to linelink.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-server7.pmcwebs.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 #1 Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:09:17 +1100
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.
HELO
250 server7.pmcwebs.com Hello sleetmute.khiltd.com [65.99.235.174]
QUIT

Assuming this isn't a newly created or modified DNS record which hasn't had time to propagate yet, I'd try making an SPF record first, and if that doesn't work then change the MX record to reflect the actual hostname i.e. "server7.pmcwebs.com". If none of that helps, you'll probably have to talk to your ISP since they seem to be the ones complaining.

The error you were given would seem to indicate that they weren't able to resolve the sender's domain at all, but I suppose it could be related to the mismatch. Switching to your own SMTP may or may not help anything since it's advertising a different name as well:

# telnet linelink.com.au 25
Trying 205.209.134.15...
Connected to linelink.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-server7.pmcwebs.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 #1 Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:09:17 +1100
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.
HELO
250 server7.pmcwebs.com Hello sleetmute.khiltd.com [65.99.235.174]
QUIT

Assuming this isn't a newly created or modified DNS record which hasn't had time to propagate yet, I'd try making an SPF record first, and if that doesn't work then change the MX record to reflect the actual hostname i.e. "server7.pmcwebs.com". If none of that helps, you'll probably have to talk to your ISP since they seem to be the ones complaining.

No worries, thanks for giving me somewhere to start.

Pete