Computer builds?

KH-JonathanKW

Technical Project Coordinator
Staff member
What's everyone running here?

What do you hope to eventually run?

My current PC is dated, but based on information I've read the newer i7's are marginal/minimal differences in exceeding the current model.

This actually makes me glad the gap isn't too huge, though a performance increase is obviously expected

CPU: Intel i7-2600 Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4ghz
RAM: 16GB Hyper X DDR-1600
HDD: SanDisk SSD; 256GB
HDD2: WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM
HDD3: Seagate 1TB Barracuda
HDD4: Seagate 1TB Barracuda
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2GB GDDR5
PSU: To be updated.

My future upgrades will be a higher output PSU and a decent bump in GPU.

I've currently purchased a new case to move everything over too;

Swapping from a dated Thermaltake Element S to a Corsair 540

Current: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133077

Future (this week??): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139022

The room for further advancement that I'm gaining in this new case is exciting. Big fan of proper cable management in custom builds, so I'm liking all the access to properly run cables.

I've taken the step, who else is going to show off their stuff? :)

My workstation laptop is as follows.

Chassis DRX
Display 17.3" 3840x2160 G-SYNC - Matte
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 6 Cores - 12 Threads - 4.7GHz
Memory 64GB - 4x16GB - 2400MHz SODIMM
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB
Networking Intel Wireless-AC 8260 Bluetooth V4.0
Operating System Drive - SSD Samsung® 960 Pro - 2TB SSD - M.2 - PCI Express
Data Drive - SSD Samsung® 960 Pro - 2TB SSD - M.2 - PCI Express
Data Drive - SSD Samsung® 850 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA
Optical Drive LG 8x DVD Writer External
64-Bit Operating System Windows 10 Enterprise
External Storage Samsung® T5 - 2TB Portable - SSD

I use to go crazy with new builds, and I wish I could justify buying a kick ass gaming rig. :( All I really focus on for my work system is a good SSD, high frequency CPU over multiple cores, so I'm fine with an i3 3GHz, but of course more is better, and decent amount of RAM, at least 8GB, everything else I need comes standard usually these days. I use to have a good gaming system, but with work the little gaming time I get is fine on my XBox One. Eventually, when I retire, I hope to build gaming rigs again.

My workstation laptop is as follows.
Memory 64GB - 4x16GB - 2400MHz SODIMM
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB
Operating System Drive - SSD Samsung® 960 Pro - 2TB SSD - M.2 - PCI Express
Data Drive - SSD Samsung® 960 Pro - 2TB SSD - M.2 - PCI Express
Laptop, with 64GB RAM (4 sticks) and 4 internal drives?
Have a picture of it?

I'm still kickin it pretty old school at home:

i7-3770k OC to 4.5
32G DDR3
Couple of 512GB SSDs and some spinning drives
GTX1080
GTX1060

Main monitor is a 27" 2560x1440 144Hz and other two monitors are run of the mill 24" 1080p.

I have pretty good cable management and a positive air pressure case that's fully filtered so no dust :)

IMG_20180131_191950.jpg

With honesty upfront, I've pretty much bailed on the website design and hosting management gig now. I'm not even sure why I still have a VPS. haha

But even back when I was really into, and even working for a web host, I've always used off-the-shelf Dells. No mods. Never needed them. In fact, the last two desktops have been scratch-and-dents from Dell Outlet. Each worked for 6+ years and I paid less that $200 for each.

With honesty upfront, I've pretty much bailed on the website design and hosting management gig now. I'm not even sure why I still have a VPS. haha
Same here, but I use my VPS for personal and family websites, and for offsite backups - as well as accessing my files while I am away from home since my Comcast modem won't allow me to run a file server accessible from outside.

But even back when I was really into, and even working for a web host, I've always used off-the-shelf Dells. No mods. Never needed them. In fact, the last two desktops have been scratch-and-dents from Dell Outlet. Each worked for 6+ years and I paid less that $200 for each.

Me, too. I also resurrect old systems and make them into linux servers for various uses.

I'm late to the party :)

• intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.5 GHz
  • Cryorig H7
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070Ti Founder's Edition
  • 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT in Red
  • NZXT Manta White/Black
  • Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD for Windows 10 purposes
  • Sandisk 120GB SSD for Linux Purposes
  • WD Blue 500GB 5400RPM
  • EVGA 650 GQ Gold Semi-Modular PSU
  • NZXT Hue+
My first Mini-ITX machine. Building it was challenging, even with a "big" premium case. This case is about as big as my previous mid tower that ran a normal ATX board. There are some more details at https://pcpartpicker.com/b/XdBPxr for all the nerds who want some other pictures and thoughts on the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.jpg
    IMG_7706.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9,344
I've been holding the power button in for the last 3 hours to hard reset it and nothing's happening. :mad:
I can't even find a power cord to unplug the damn thing. This thing is going in the recycle bin.

Late to the party. I've been running an ex intel server board since 2015. Bought off ebay with a quad core q8300 I think. 4gb ram. Think I paid 40 bucks for it. With the basic intel graphics. This thing is bulletproof! Linux Mint Latest! Best distro ever!
Don't need anything else, not a gamer.
Love never having to use windoze defender. My other machine however is windoze 10x. Only use it for video editing.

I recently upgraded my own computer at home, the previous build that I started this thread with was built in 2011.

I've jumped on the AMD bandwagon when it came to CPU's, though.

New Specs:

Primary Monitor: 27" Acer XG270 HU 2560x1440
Secondary Monitor: 27" Acer S271HL
Tertiary Monitor: 27" Acer S271HL
----
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8) 3600 Mhz
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Extreme4
HDD: SanDisk SSD; 256GB
HDD2: Samsung EVO 840 512GB
HDD3: Crucial SSD 1TB
HDD4: Crucial SSD 1TB
GPU: GeForce® GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6Ghttps://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD-rev-10-11

Definitely has been able to handle everything I've ever thrown at it with no issues.

Looking forward to seeing how Cyberpunk 2077 looks on this when it comes out.

Attachments

• IMG_4169.JPG
    IMG_4169.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 8,786
Nice! I too jumped the Intel ship with my latest build. Price to performance, it was just no contest. What's going on in the bottom left of that photo? Looks like a plug and an old small film reel? I see the sticky note says "Decommissioned KH Hardware: phpAddict's old SSDs" :p