Auto resource scaling...

Gimko

Hi there,

Just wondering why KH don't offer auto resource scaling? I believe this is usually offered with cloud hosting services (at least that's what I have seen elsewhere).

We have a website that runs off a VPS currently at KH and most of the times we don't need these extra resources, but every couple of days for a brief period when we release something new our website gets smashed with traffic and has caused slowdowns and even crashes - this is the time where it would be incredibly useful to have auto-scaling resources.

As you can see above, upgrading wouldn't be needed for us as we would then be paying for an upgrade we don't need 95% of the time, but a service such as being able to auto-scale our server resources would be the ideal solution.

We have been with KH now for several years and have generally been very happy - but we do need to take care of these spikes in traffic without having to pay for an upgrade we have no need for the vast majority of the time and we don't particularly want to leave KH to do that.

We have been with KH now for several years and have generally been very happy - but we do need to take care of these spikes in traffic without having to pay for an upgrade we have no need for the vast majority of the time and we don't particularly want to leave KH to do that.

Hey Gimko, did you get this resolved? I'm currently facing the same problem.

I can take a swing at this although I may not know the actual technical side of things.

Older VPS systems allowed just that, they gave you a guaranteed minimum of resources and allowed 'bursting' to higher amounts of those resources. However what happens when everyone 'bursts' into those higher resources? What happens when they then rely on those 'burstable' resources 100% of the time? Everyone suffers when either of those things happens that's what. And that's not even taking into account overselling like pretty much every host I had did before finding Knownhost...

Many hosts do still use the older 'burstable' systems however Knownhost moved to a dedicated system a few years back now due to the fact that it requires less support as they do not get tickets for random problems that happen when resource usage spikes from too many VPS need additional resources at the same time.

Hope that helps!