Just switched to KH

I
I have been with a certain host, I wont mention their name but it is not a crocodile, for more than 7 years. I have had a lot of trouble and now, as of this moment, every one of my websites and those of my clients have been down for 6 hours and 25 minutes. But y'all dont want to hear about their woes.

I left Hostgator in November. I just helped a client move to two servers about two weeks ago. (One off of Hostgator, the other off of Rackspace).

If I told you how thrilled I was with KnownHost, you'd think that either: 1. I was exaggerating or 2. I owned KnownHost ... neither is the case.

After having had ourselves and clients embarrassed and frustrated by site unavailability by we moved.

Now, I don't want to say KH is perfect ... we had a guy from Australia very angry about the five minutes of down time he had last week as a result of a DDOS attack

I bounced from one host provider to another experiencing various problems with each. I finally landed at KH and have been a happy customer for over 5 years. KH has a Support department that is second to none. Not only do they provide stellar support, but many times go beyond. I have asked question several times that clearly were not their responsibility to answer but did so without question. The KH priority is the support of their customers and they live up to the task. I have found a home and if you switch, I am sure you will as well. Make the switch. You will not regret it.

Now if they would fix the script that generates a JS error on every page, and makes it impossible to compose a post with javascript enabled, all would be right in the KH world. (The problem started at the same time as the CloudFlare experiment, and even though the experiment is done, the problem persists for me.)

What's the error? I can't seem to replicate it.

Attachments

• shot-2014-04-17-08:42:50.png
    shot-2014-04-17-08:42:50.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 752
I have the same problem with both IE10 and FF25. Here's the error in the FF console:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x805e0006 [nsIXMLHttpRequest.open]" nsresult: "0x805e0006 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: http://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/dok9v=b064e16429/cloudflare.min.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

I guess you're still using CloudFlare...this was the first time in a while that I enabled Javascript on this site. After I make this post, I'll re-enable JS and get a screen capture. I think I can upload it with JS disabled...

I hope this works -- there should be a screen capture as an attachment. It's what I see (or don't see) on the post compose page when JS is enabled.

The Xenforo user interface sucks when JS is disabled...

Attachments

• jserror.png
    jserror.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 835
Now if they would fix the script that generates a JS error on every page, and makes it impossible to compose a post with javascript enabled, all would be right in the KH world. (The problem started at the same time as the CloudFlare experiment, and even though the experiment is done, the problem persists for me.)

Dion what browser and version of Java are you using? I'm in Chrome with Java V7 update 51 and I never see any errors. Even just tried it in IE and didn't get any errors.

I typically use an old version of Firefox (FF5) for my directed browsing (bookmarked sites), but the problem also occurred with FF25. To further check compatibility, I switched to IE10 to add this post. I have many of the same problems, but at least the BBcode editor box shows up. And as I said previously, this problem didn't exist until the CloudFlare experiment, and it only affects forums.knownhost.com.

If this is only affecting a tiny percentage of your users, then no big deal -- I can continue to access forums.knownhost.com with JS disabled.

I have been reading through the forum and website most of the evening. I must say that I like the way things go in the forum. That is the KH staff seems to be very helpful and involved.

I have been with a certain host, I wont mention their name but it is not a crocodile, for more than 7 years. I have had a lot of trouble and now, as of this moment, every one of my websites and those of my clients have been down for 6 hours and 25 minutes. But y'all dont want to hear about their woes.

I am very seriously considering moving my business. I cant really do much work with all my sites down so instead I spent my time researching other hosts and ended up here

I can feel your pain WildBlueRoad. Anyone's that's dealt with hosts for very long has run into that. The problem isn't necessarily downtime as everyone has that occasionally. The real problem is the fact that you've had a lot of trouble in the time you've been there, that's the proof in the pudding.

The KH crew are top notch and the servers are high quality. I've been here a while and have never regretted making the move.

Hope that helps your decision :)

I typically use an old version of Firefox (FF5) for my directed browsing (bookmarked sites), but the problem also occurred with FF25. To further check compatibility, I switched to IE10 to add this post. I have many of the same problems, but at least the BBcode editor box shows up. And as I said previously, this problem didn't exist until the CloudFlare experiment, and it only affects forums.knownhost.com.

If this is only affecting a tiny percentage of your users, then no big deal -- I can continue to access forums.knownhost.com with JS disabled.
I just installed the latest portable version (V28) of Firefox here and am posting this in the quick reply box. Haven't seen any errors yet...

Looks like I was able to edit a post as well...

I just changed my preferences to display the default theme, and I'm now able to create (and just checked, edit) posts in the BBcode editor with JS enabled. While it's not perfect, it's a workable solution.

My first post here. Just to say that I am get ready to leave Hostgator. The last drop was a TT waiting for an answer from support for 40 hours (and counting). I've been with them for about 6 years and watched while quality went gradually down. I went through the two major outages... but enough is enough now. Hope I won't regret my move.

My first post here. Just to say that I am get ready to leave Hostgator. The last drop was a TT waiting for an answer from support for 40 hours (and counting). I've been with them for about 6 years and watched while quality went gradually down. I went through the two major outages... but enough is enough now. Hope I won't regret my move.

Welcome to KnownHost and our forum. I hope to see you as an active part of our community here :)

Well, as it is I am afraid a migration is proving harder than expecting, approaching the "impossible" label. I was right about going for a first batch of non-critical domains before proceeding with more of my domains. Support in KnowHost was fast, and for now I will stay in "neutral" about quality. I am having plenty of problems with DNS - not KnownHost fault, I suppose; amongst other things I have a domain migrated and with nameservers updated 2 days ago which can't send mail because for some reason the mail is being sent from my old server (although the domain resolves to the new server). In the past I did migrate servers and thing went smoothly. I can't imagine how many customers I would lose now if during a migration e-mails would be inoperative for 48-72 hours.

That's pretty odd, i migrate sites from and to my server with KH in a daily basis, and always doing migration between 11 PM - 01 AM, and after a few hours (probably under 6-10 hours) site, mail, ftp, etc, is working at the destination server, without issue.

Probably you already did, but did you check that the account is configure to use local mail?