Windows

DesotoD

I hate it! You guys need to offer some Windows plans. If I had my way, I'd never use Windows but a new business venture is requiring a Windows box and i have to deal with these yahoos elsewhere! I could write a book on the service nightmares I've already encountered with other companies. Maybe you guys have spoiled me here but it would be wonderful if I could just have them all together at a company I know and trust.

Hi, we are running a few dedicated servers. KnownHost offers excellent value and service, so when needing to install a new Windows server I would prefer to come here. Please add Windows to the supported list for dedicated servers.

> If I had my way, I'd never use Windows

Agreed.

Hi, we are running a few dedicated servers. KnownHost offers excellent value and service, so when needing to install a new Windows server I would prefer to come here. Please add Windows to the supported list for dedicated servers.

> If I had my way, I'd never use Windows

Agreed.
Howdy,

While we don't officially support Windows, we offer ISO install abilities via Netboot - https://www.knownhost.com/kb/how-to-use-netboot-xyz/

So any of our unmanaged dedicated servers can handle windows!

> ISO install abilities via Netboot

Thanks for the reply. I will keep it in mind. The post you mention https://www.knownhost.com/kb/how-to-use-netboot-xyz/ is a general overview, and doesn't say "ISO" or "Windows". If we imagine that after Linux, the next most popular server would probably be Microsoft Windows, it could be worthwhile to focus on Windows a bit, by adding another article "How to install Microsoft Windows on KnowHost using netboot.xyz", including these steps:

- The ISO. How to obtain it. How to make that available to the dedicated server. Over the internet?
- Windows. How to purchase, and get the license, and the ISO, and incorporate that into the steps. netboot.xyz isn't going to work without a windows license, right?
In the article, walk the user step-by-step through the entire installation, everything, from the purchase, through the full installation including Windows, even steps that aren't particular to knownhost.com, they are entirely "the customer's responsibility" since Windows isn't officially supported.

Screenshots of each step, all the way through, until it's done and you have logged into an operational Microsoft Windows Server 2022.

As an example, consider the many posts from some companies which go beyond just how to install a basic server in their cloud. In those articles, they help you with python, docker, apache, nodejs, etc. Not that they support nodejs, per se, but customers benefit from the information. In this case, the article would be: installing windows on knownhost. Even the parts that have nothing to do with KnownHost. Anyway just an idea.

Howdy,

Replies in-line.
> ISO install abilities via Netboot

Thanks for the reply. I will keep it in mind. The post you mention https://www.knownhost.com/kb/how-to-use-netboot-xyz/ is a general overview, and doesn't say "ISO" or "Windows". If we imagine that after Linux, the next most popular server would probably be Microsoft Windows, it could be worthwhile to focus on Windows a bit, by adding another article "How to install Microsoft Windows on KnowHost using netboot.xyz", including these steps:

- The ISO. How to obtain it. How to make that available to the dedicated server. Over the internet?
Due to windows licensing, this assumes you already have a windows ISO or windows install media you can convert to an ISO, then you simply put it online somewhere that the Netboot installer can reach.

- Windows. How to purchase, and get the license, and the ISO, and incorporate that into the steps. netboot.xyz isn't going to work without a windows license, right?
Correct, Windows licensing for data centers and facilities is complicated at best, and out right expensive / impossible at worst. That's why it's not something we can officially bring on and sell. Microsoft, to my knowledge, does not prevent you from acquiring a license and installing/managing it on equipment under your companies umbrella, but as soon as I do so as a provider, it gets messy and expensive quickly.

In the article, walk the user step-by-step through the entire installation, everything, from the purchase, through the full installation including Windows, even steps that aren't particular to knownhost.com, they are entirely "the customer's responsibility" since Windows isn't officially supported.

Screenshots of each step, all the way through, until it's done and you have logged into an operational Microsoft Windows Server 2022.
Sadly, due to the aforementioned license issues, it's one of those things that is quite technically possible, with nothing to prevent you from doing so, but if we were to include/advertise it as a provider it'd require a significant upfront investment to properly include/support.

As an example, consider the many posts from some companies which go beyond just how to install a basic server in their cloud. In those articles, they help you with python, docker, apache, nodejs, etc. Not that they support nodejs, per se, but customers benefit from the information. In this case, the article would be: installing windows on knownhost. Even the parts that have nothing to do with KnownHost. Anyway just an idea.