why the defaults email ports are opened when no mail server installed

Discussion in 'Linux VPS/Dedicated - General' started by class101, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. class101

class101 New Member

hello,

I have installed Postfix and have troubles to have it working simply because there is default ports opened 25 110 995 etc on my machine when connected it timeouts without no mail server running on the machine ... So then when I start my Postfix mail server, the postfix ports are not recognized and instead it timeouts due do the default opened ports, I have checked if it was from my connection but no because intodns and dnsstuff aren't detecting the mail server also, it is just working locally from the ssh, if I type telnet ip 25/110/etc, working fine.

Any idea what is causing this? have only apache mysql proftp php installed and checed in webmin the Internet service ports, nothing is enabled so no ports overwritte from there.

2. khiltd

khiltd New Member

Code:
    lsof -i :25
    will tell you what's got port 25 open.

3. class101

class101 New Member

returns nothing :/

Code:
    [[email protected] ~]# lsof -i :25 
    [[email protected] ~]# lsof -i :25
    [[email protected] ~]# 

4. class101

class101 New Member

well I will submit a ticket and if nothing moves tommorow I will search for another VPS hosting because that sound like a <snipped> configuration I can't get my hand on and that's not acceptable for a mail server

5. khiltd

khiltd New Member

Well make sure you swear in broken English a lot in your support ticket; that always gets results.

6. KH-Paul

KH-Paul CTO Staff Member

class101,

If nothing listens on port 25, then this means that mail server isn't running. How postfix was installed? What kind of errors are you seeing while you're trying to start it? Is there anything in logs?

Please edit post #4 and adjust your language. We'll appreciate if you can keep yourself professional, especially in public places.

Regards,
    Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.