What exactly is "System CPU Usage"?

Discussion in 'Linux VPS/Dedicated - General' started by UnionDance, Jan 7, 2008.

1. UnionDance

UnionDance New Member

Hi!

As i was reading the ToS, i found out about the "No more than 25% of CPU system resources for more than 90 seconds", so i thought "i don't have a huge site, so it's ok".

But i wanted to know, where or how do i know how much CPU system resources am i using, and what could be causing it?

Thank you :eek:

2. khiltd

khiltd New Member

If you have a control panel then it should show you. If not you can use the 'top' command from your shell.

3. UnionDance

UnionDance New Member

i checked now, and why are there so many apache process?

there are like 5 taking around 13 ram each one, is that normal? T_T

ps. i'm using webmin and only one site

4. khiltd

khiltd New Member

Same reason there's more than one cash register at most grocery stores. Yes, it's normal.

5. UnionDance

UnionDance New Member

Damn, then i gotta get more ram, then.... it would be almost impossible to have cPanel in this plan with this ram xD

6. ppc

ppc Moderator

What plan are you on? What's your current RAM usage?

7. UnionDance

UnionDance New Member

My plan is VPS Mtx and i'm using an average of 70-90 RAM.

Right now, it's 81 used...

And the system resources are too high, it's that normal too? They're at 47.97%

8. khiltd

khiltd New Member

Mtx does not have enough RAM for cPanel to run comfortably.

9. UnionDance

UnionDance New Member

But i have webmin >_<

10. khiltd

khiltd New Member

Ah, I forgot which forum I was in for a second. Nevermind ;)

It should be usable, but 128MB is not a lot, and if you plan on serving up a lot of dynamic content, you'll be bumping your head quite often. The ala carte upgrades are pretty cheap, and well worth it in my opinion.

11. ppc

ppc Moderator

So you wanted to upgrade to cPanel?

12. UnionDance

UnionDance New Member

Yeah, but later... i was just saying, that if cPanel takes a lot of ram, it would be.... well, very difficult to run with 128 ram =P the upgrades are good, i think i'll get myself some ram later on, i should have done so before when i had input the promo code to get the discount T_T