What does Server Load Mean?

Peace

Hi everyone!

Our server load is right around 0.4-0.6, but since I'm on a VPS I'm wondering what this translates to? With dedicated servers, I know you divide the load by the number of CPU's

So I see 24 CPU's (SSD2 plan), does that really mean I divide 0.4/24 to get the real load? That would be nice, but I think a little too good to be true :) CPU's are shared on the server, right?

Thanks,
Peace

Peace,

It's very hard to put a hard number on this such as "At X load you're using Y percentage of your available CPU". The same core concept of 1.0 per CPU core still holds true, even in a virtualized environment. The lower the better of course.

Sorry for being a bit vague with this description.

Oh jeeze, that is fantastic. We used to have 3 Cores, averaging 1.00-2.00

So measuring the same way, the load does seem to be a lot lower. I've also noticed memory use was cut in half, despite the fact that we have made no other changes on our end. Do you guys optimize your servers somehow? Either way, really neat!

That is awesome - much appreciated! One quick question - our mySQL database disappeared for a minute earlier today. Do you know how we can discover why? I think it might be related to an email we received right after. Would this restart the SQL services?

A new app has been registered with AppConfig.
Name: csf
Service: whostmgr
ACLS required: software-ConfigServer-csf
System User: root
URL(s): /cgi/configserver/csf.cgi
Display Name: ConfigServer Security&<b>Firewall</b>
Entry URL: configserver/csf.cgi
You can view all current registered apps here: Apps Managed by AppConfig

What do you mean it disappeared?

The alert you received was from WHM and is normal. Every time CSF updates itself you'll receive one of these alerts because of the way WHM is handling addons since version 11.38.

I also noticed that you left the link in the "Apps Managed by AppConfig" part of your post. I removed this link so it's not linking to your WHM anymore. Figured you might not want your domains and whatnot to be public knowledge ;)

Thank you Jonathan, oops :)

Regarding the SQL database disappearing - we got an automated email saying:

MySQL Error : MySQL server has gone away
Error Number : 2006
Request Date : Tuesday, July 23rd 2013 @ 01:21:28 PM
Error Date : Tuesday, July 23rd 2013 @ 01:21:28 PM

Is there any log file which might help us discover why this happened?

Thanks!

Hi Peace,

I would check /var/log/messages first and there is also /var/lib/mysql/host.name.com.err which might help too.

Personally I've never seen that error so hopefully it was just a hiccup ;)

It was likely from the initial VPS boot is my guess. It means the MySQL process crashed or was stopped, and ChkServd was expecting it to be running and it wasn't.

Unless it happens again I wouldn't worry about it. A common cause of processes randomly getting killed is a lack of memory. You can check with support to see if you've had any "OOM" events recently.

Thank you both! That error is a vBulletin error (I've seen it before when I reboot the SQL server), so it sounds like the initial VPS boot is correct. Hasn't happened again, it's been running lightning fast, and plenty of free resources :) Thanks again