webmail loading too slow

Naushad

Greetings ,
I need help in sorting out an issue being faced by a particular client on my VPS. The client has his offices in different cities of my country and at all the locations neither emails are being loaded through outlook (2007 and 2010) nor through webmail. The outlook starts sending and receiving process and gets stuck at few bytes varying between 16 and 64 or something. On webmail after putting the credentials the page (any of the horde, squirrel mail or round cube) loads in an average 6 - 7 minutes. Besides that downloading an attachment takes longer than life.
Nothing seems to work (checked with firewall off, removing add-ons/ins from browser(s), running repair tools, etc.).
Any solutions from Dear Fellow Forum Members :)

1. Well, let's start with, what's common at all of these locations? What same hardware, networking equipment, software, anti-virus, same ISP everywhere? Is there site wide VPNs involved at all that tie all these networks together?
  2. Also, what error does Outlook give you?
  3. How about websites on your sever and other services like FTP? Are they able to access everything else on your server with no issue?
  4. Everything works fine outside of your client's locations?
At this point my guess would be either anti-virus, router/firewall, or ISP does not like the ports being used, but more details needed to find where it's at.

Well identified;

1. Well, let's start with, what's common at all of these locations? What same hardware, networking equipment, software, anti-virus, same ISP everywhere? Is there site wide VPNs involved at all that tie all these networks together?
Not same hardware; not same networking equipment, different OS but all windows (outlook 2007 and 2010), anti-virus is Avast but even tried after shutting it down; ISP is same across their offices but the other websites running in the same cities have no such issues. No site vide VPNs.

2. Also, what error does Outlook give you?

Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

3. How about websites on your sever and other services like FTP? Are they able to access everything else on your server with no issue?
Haven't tried that.

4. Everything works fine outside of your client's locations?
Yes!!!

At this point my guess would be either anti-virus, router/firewall, or ISP does not like the ports being used, but more details needed to find where it's at.
Anti-virus and router thing is tested, no issues related to that. Can't say about ISP. How to know that?

Give FTP a test (upload/download a large file), or just surf some pages on your server and let us know if it's abnormally slow or seems normal. That will tell us if it's just related to email, or if it's something related to your entire server.

Contact your ISP's support. Sometimes ISPs may block some email ports to help reduce spam.

Hi,
I had requested client to contact their ISP. They just replied with everything OK! They don't even have any idea what was wrong which suddenly got itself corrected. They had tried using FTP (FileZila) client to test download and upload which according to them was good.
I guess it was ISP's issue. What you say?

If it immediately was ok after the ISP had a look then I'd certainly say it was ports being blocked by the ISP, they just wanted to save face and not admit that they were causing problems. Certainly wouldn't be the first time an ISP caused issues and they didn't own up to it.

I asked them if to share their communication with ISP but they said they had none. It was like they overheard :p (hahahaha). Don't know how to control this but usually clients are hard to convince that it was ISP side issue.

I asked them if to share their communication with ISP but they said they had none. It was like they overheard :p (hahahaha). Don't know how to control this but usually clients are hard to convince that it was ISP side issue.

I'd say that the proof that it was their ISP was the fact that their accounts worked fine outside of their network ;)

Glad to see that you got it worked out even though no one is owning up to the issue!

Next time, I suggest you use Tor-browser (kind of being outside of any network) :eek:
yo Dan, what a horrible "reply" with no probe. plz.