VPS vs Dedicated port speed

digitalsmokes

Couldn't find this answered anywhere, I apologize if I missed it, but on a VPS plan, is the 100 Mbps shared with the entire node, or does the node have something greater such as a 1 Gbps port?

If it is shared 100 Mbps port and everyone is set to access the entire port, is bandwidth prioritized in any way?

At peak times, how close is a node to maxing out it's port?

What I'm trying to determine is if a reason to upgrade to dedicated might be to get a full 100 Mbps port, not shared with others, so there is more headroom during peak times.

I believe the VPS' are shared when it comes to bandwidth, they would need multiple nics dedicated to each VPS' to run independent and I don't believe that's the case. Dedis of course are independent. As for priority I'm sure they are equal share on VPS' and the servers on each node. Switching to a Dedi for sure will provide you access to more resources, not just bandwidth but memory cpu and disk space so you're beefing up all around.
Don't hold me to any of that, it's just my experience, but I'd like to hear what @KH-Jonathan says.

VPSs are software-limited to 100Mbps. The hardware node has much more available and during peak times on even our busiest nodes, the node's network utilization remains around 30% or below. Most nodes run under 10% network utilization. Multiple clients could utilize the full 100Mbps and our network is built for that. Do not ever think you couldn't use a full 100Mbps on a VPS - you certainly can any time of the day.

Our dedicated servers do offer dedicated 100Mbps connectivity.

Everything is shared at some point, it's just a matter of what level it's shared at. It could be at the network edge, the rack, the server (in cases of shared hosting and VPSs), or even the account (in cases of shared hosting). For everything on the internet to be dedicated...well, there'd need to be lots more fiber :)

Same goes for home internet connections...who are generally horrible at balancing this and oversell it too much resulting in slow speeds ;)