VPS seeker...

opentoe

Yep, that's me. Looking to finally maybe make the step to VPS and get away from my shared hosting service.

Right now I run a small forum. 1200 users, 5GB/montly. Uses the standard stuff. Apache, SQL, PHP, etc...

I never used a VPS service before and had a couple of questions. I do want a control panel. Plesk or Cpanel. Will this come preinstalled or will I need to install that myself? I can work my way around Linux fairly well, but I do like ease of use and using the control panel to do the work for me. Would Knownhost's cheapest VPS be ok for my small forum right now? There are usually 30-40 people concurrently on the forum at any given time. SQL connections and all that have to be considered, right? I'm ready to possibly sign up with a service and I really want to go for VPS, because it's ALL MINE. :)

Anyway, is there is anything anyone can let me know to someone that is tired of shared hosting and wants VPS, please let me know. Some questions would also be, will SQL, PHP and all be preinstalled or is that something I'll need to install myself?

Thanks.

Also, is there any difference in your servers in Texas, NJ, CA.? Are they all the same speed/service?

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost! :)

I'd definitely steer towards cPanel instead of Plesk. In my experience, its much more stable, reliable, user friendly, and I'm assuming you're on cPanel with your current shared host so it will make the migration as seamless as possible.

based on what you've told us, I'm confident that the small package (VPS-1) will suit your needs. Upgrading (when you need it) is seamless.

PHP and MySQL will already be installed as part of cPanel (or Plesk). We are a fully managed service so we can help with just about anything you can throw at us :)

Again, thanks for your interest and I hope to see you sign up soon. You won't regret it.

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost! :)

I'd definitely steer towards cPanel instead of Plesk. In my experience, its much more stable, reliable, user friendly, and I'm assuming you're on cPanel with your current shared host so it will make the migration as seamless as possible.

based on what you've told us, I'm confident that the small package (VPS-1) will suit your needs. Upgrading (when you need it) is seamless.

PHP and MySQL will already be installed as part of cPanel (or Plesk). We are a fully managed service so we can help with just about anything you can throw at us :)

Again, thanks for your interest and I hope to see you sign up soon. You won't regret it.

Thanks! I tried to use the VPS discount lifetime but it doesn't work on the cheapest plan you have. I guess it only works on the VPS-2 and above. Yep, that's it. Just looked. Always looking for a discount, since going from $11/month to $35/month is a big jump. I'm almost there...just trying to see if I'll be able to afford it all. Thanks for the quick reply and I do love that there are forums here.

Thanks! I tried to use the VPS discount lifetime but it doesn't work on the cheapest plan you have. I guess it only works on the VPS-2 and above. Yep, that's it. Just looked. Always looking for a discount, since going from $11/month to $35/month is a big jump. I'm almost there...just trying to see if I'll be able to afford it all. Thanks for the quick reply and I do love that there are forums here. [Broken External Image]:http://tiny.cc/jr5nax
Yeah it will only work for 2 and above afaik.

Last edited: