VPS questions

G

Heres the deal. I've been jumping host to host, not having much luck to find a reliable host.

I've been reading that I need a VPS and you're recommended from quite a few places.

Now. If I were to get a VPS L or M

How much configuration do I need to do to get my site up and running? I'm used to shared hosts, where I just upload set my DB and it's done.
Do I have to install mysql and php? Stuff like that?

I dont have much knowledge in features like this. All I'm really looking for is a good host, where my site wont slow down and stop 4-5 times a day.

Hello,

When having your own VPS you have your own mini server with full root access allowing you to do whatever you want that is legal. You have your own mail server, DNS server, FTP server, web server, etc. So comparing to shared hosting you need to do more but you also get more. Performance should definitely be much better if the server is not loaded (we do not). We can assist you and help get this setup so just ask for some guidance. We don't just do all this upfront but after you get your logins and start messing around let us know when you run into an issue. We would be glad to assist you.

PHP, MySQL all come preinstalled with the control panel you choose. It is part of the software package (Plesk or Cpanel). Directadmin very soon as well.

Let me know if you need anything else.

-Jay

With all the configurations that can be done, and my limited experience.
Plus with the outages I have experienced with shared hosting.

With vBulletin forum.
Would I be better to order the Shared with you? Or jump right into the VPS.

Also.
I was told before I purchase a VPS to ask about firewalls and ddos protection..

If you're going to purchase shared hosting you will be good to go out of the box. To transfer vBulletin all you would have to do is transfer the database and relevant files and modify the configuration file to reflect your new MySQL settings. If you will have more then 25 active users browsing your website at any given time I would go with a VPS. From what I understand, all KnownHost VPSs support APF, ask them to enable it when you sign up and you should be fine there. As for DDOS, there really isn't much that you can do. Well, there is a lot that you can do but from what I've read little actually helps much, we will have to see what KnownHost says on this one. Hope it helps. :)

Actually, as far as DDoS, there are some useful strategies that help to thwart them off. In fact, Ev1servers actually has a special DDoS protection thing at their switches that automatically kicks in and sends the client a graph of the traffic, then blocks out all illegitimate traffic for you, quite handy. In other circumstances, you would be best going with a DoS deflater, which are very easy to come by. Basically it's a script that runs all the time I believe and it bans IPs that are making a very large amount of connections, or if it doesn't ban them, it at least kills all of their connections. Knownhost offers managed VPSes (managed service free for now) so take advantage and note in the comments field if you order that you'd like managed if you want. Like IAIHMB said, they support APF, which I don't use, in fact, I don't use a firewall at all which isn't good but hey I would give APF a shot and see how it works for you. Also, if you're going to have a larger vbulletin, a VPS would work, just make sure you have enough RAM to cover your usage. To give you an idea, our major forum site usually has about 20-40 members + extra for guests online at a time, and my VPS usually never tops 45% RAM usage through VZPP statistics at least and I have 256Mb of RAM. So in other words, I would suggest if you go with something less than XL, make sure you have no less than 192Mb especially if you are using plesk or cPanel. In my experiences, cPanel uses substantially less RAM than Plesk, so possibly take that into consideration as well. I better be off before I get to rambling to much....

-Caleb

About firewalls - we do not filter any traffic except IRC. If you want to close some incoming / outgoing ports, then go ahead and use iptables inside the VPS. All most popular iptables modules are pre-loaded and can be used. You can manage iptables manually, use firewall management in VZPP (very basic, not really recommended) or install some more or less advanced iptables management things like APF, etc. I'd estimate that 30-35% of our VPS customers are using APF inside their VPS's and very few use firewall management in VZPP or Plesk. If you use cPanel and want to have some sort of firewall management right in your WHM, then you may want to take a look at ConfigServer Firewall project: http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html
In general I do not really like firewalls, especially in "wrong hands". Quote often I hear things like "how my [blah-blah] was compromised, I have a firewall running, so I suppose to be 200% protected from everything". This is not true but for some reason more and more people think that firewall is their only way to deal with security.

As for DDOS. We do have monitoring and mitigation tools in place in pretty "relaxed" configuration. First of all DDOS protection is not our primary specialization. If you're constantly attacked or if your VPS act as attack source, then we'll ask you to leave. Second - "relaxed" configuration was mentioned b/c there were quite some cases where traffic generated by some of our customers was recognized as outgoing attack and corresponding filters were put in place which, in turn, distracted normal service for these customers and this is not something we want to continue doing. DDOS attacks happens. Just last week we've dealt with two of them. Did you notice any connectivity problems? Most likely no, however these two were pretty light and easy to deal with.

Regards,
Paul

Ok thank you..

We were on a server that kept getting hit by the ddos. Not our site.
Currently we have a small vB but hope to get bigger and may be purchasing an established website.

As for Cpanel, I had that on my other host, Should this be something I add to the L plan? or for the basics that I need right now, should I skip that and add it later.

As for firewalls and the ddoss protections.
I know nothing about those. I was just told I should ask on this. Like I said before, my site wasn't the one that was getting attacked.

Joe,

If you use cPanel right now my advice would be to add cPanel to your new VPS from the beginning. There are multiple reasons for thins including:
a) Familiar interface / functionality;
b) Same data (paths) structure;
c) Easy to migrate as long as source host allows you to run full account backup;
d) Optimized cPanel (yeah, all our cPanel VPSs come optimized) don't take much memory or resources as Caleb mentioned.
e) cPanel is very popular and as such if any problem will happen it is quite easy to find a solution as most of the problems are not uniq. In other words google is the best friend ;)

And, finally, we offer 30 money back guarantee. If, for whatever reason, you won’t be satisfied with our services we'll issue a full refund (excluding possible domain registrations or transfer fees).

Regards,
Paul

Joe,

One more thing to keep in mind - control panel change required complete VPS recreation, so it won't be possible to just add cPanel later to the existing VPS. If control panel option is added we'll have to kill existing VPS, provision a new one and install control panel you've selected in the upgrade wizard. So this is, basically, one more reason to go with cPanel from the beginning.

If you'd like to have APF pre-installed, make sure to add a note in the comments field during the ordering process. This way APF will be installed and configured for you at the time when VPS will be provisioned.

Regards,
Paul