VPS Noob

cctech

This may be in the wrong section, but I did not see a better spot and did not see this question answered when I searched. Apologies all around if I am in the wrong spot.

My site is currently on a shared host using vDeck control panel and shared hosting is all I have experience with. I have purchased the bottom level VPS from knownhost and added cPanel and fantastico. I know that the migration would have been a piece of cake cPanel to cPanel, but not an option in my case, unfortunately.

My current site is static main site with a self-hosted wordpress blog.

I am able to backup my vDeck site creating a single tar.gz file and thought perhaps that may make migration easier. However, being a total VPS noob, I do not know for sure.

So, here are my questions:
1 - Can a backup tar.gz file be imported into cPanel?
2 - If yes, will that make migration any easier?
3 - If not, are there some other specific recommendations that will make this transition as painless as possible?

I searched Google for some "How-to" articles on migrating from shared to VPS, but came up empty.

I think that is it for now, but I am certain that I will come up with plenty of additional questions, so don't feel bad if you miss out on answering the ones listed above :).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

it will depend on what the tar file includes

i would make the tar, download it to my computer, and open it up and see what it contains (use 7zip on windows)

what you may be able to do is use WHM to set up the account (empty) and then manually move over the /public_html files and everything else

in any case you should contact support to get specific advice for your situation