VPS ---> Hybrid ?

pmcwebs

Hey all,

Has anyone made the move from a Cpanel VPS to a Cpanel Hybrid? If so, what sort of grunt does a hybrid have in comparison to a VPS? I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, but I'm after some real life examples of people who have done it.

I currently have 2 VPS systems running and I'm considering (only considering at this stage....) merging them into one Hybrid for ease of maintainence.

Any input appreciated...

Pete

Hi pmcwebs,

Yes, I have done this before -- I highly recommend that you do it aswell. There are many great things you will notice with a hybrid.

Hybrids run alot faster because theres not as many of them on the physical machine as there are hybrids. (See example below.)

Example:
On a physical machine for VPS's there might be 50-100 (High End Server)
On a physical machine for Hybrid Servers, there might be 10-20 (High End Server)

-----------

With saying that, you will notice that your system will run alot faster. Plus with the awesome harddrive space offered with the plans you'll have alot of space to store your things.

Anymore questions, please reply!

-Kody

In our case it is more like 4-8 hybrid's to a server and 15-25 VPS's per server. This varies across all servers based on the type of VPS's provisioned to the specific server in question.

Joel

Its very bad business if is there is a VPS plan out there with 100 on a server, no matter how powerful the server, very few hosts will have happy customers like that. One of the reasons I came to KH was because I believed it to be in the range Joel posted. I know I have no actual experience with Hybrid here but I am pretty sure 4-8 should allow for excellent perfomance.

In our case it is more like 4-8 hybrid's to a server and 15-25 VPS's per server. This varies across all servers based on the type of VPS's provisioned to the specific server in question.

Joel

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

Joel, are the server specs the same for VPS / Hybrid servers?

In most cases at this time yes servers are the same. It depends on the node as we do have a variety of servers in production.

Thanks,
Joel

Joel

Thanks for the info -- its appreciated.

Its very bad business if is there is a VPS plan out there with 100 on a server, no matter how powerful the server, very few hosts will have happy customers like that. One of the reasons I came to KH was because I believed it to be in the range Joel posted. I know I have no actual experience with Hybrid here but I am pretty sure 4-8 should allow for excellent perfomance.

Please notice that I have said "High End Servers."
There are some servers that can hold that number of VPS's and manage them in a good fashion. Its all about how much money you would want to seek into one server. And these are just some rough estimates that I guessed after researching abit.

Regards-
Kody

Please notice that I have said "High End Servers."
There are some servers that can hold that number of VPS's and manage them in a good fashion. Its all about how much money you would want to seek into one server.

What kind of configuration are you referring to that could handle such a load reasonably? Also curious what kind HD setup you believe could handle such usage?

Sorry Read Matt's blog incorrectly;;

Shared kernel, shared memory, but seperate environment VPS implementations - This is the first category of VPS that many hosts offer. It has many advantages to it, but in my opinion is geared toward a lower end client in the VPS market. There is nothing wrong with this type of VPS, but it simply doesn’t have the control of the other type that I will talk about in a moment. VPS that fit into this category are usually using Virtuozzo (A VPS Product sold to web hosting companies). The big advantage of this type of VPS is that you can fit between 50-100 VPS clients on a single highend server. All customers have their own “virtual instance” of linux running, their own dedicated CPU resources, and minimum levels of memory that can come and go to other customers as the need arises. You still use a single kernel to run all these VPS customers, but it is ideal for a certain segment of the VPS market. Customers that would be interested in a VPS in the $15-$39 price range usually fall into the Virtuozzo VPS category. For those looking to avoid CPU quotas with your shared host, and want an environment to run your own servers (require open ports) and have dedicated IP(s) for your system this is what you are looking for.

Such as thier working on a prototype that a bunch of people from HostingCON of last year will be trying out soon.

Regards-
Kody