VPS Hosting Questions

M

MikeT

Hello, After reading good reviews on your service I am looking at a VPS package, have a few questions first..

Who is responsible for maintaining upgrades, patches, security issues?

I have a reseller account on a shared server now with cpanel/whm, can you transfer everything for me? I will order Cpanel with your VPS.

What do is there to running a vps? Is it much different than Cpanel/WHM on a shared host?

The shared hosting I am on now has been hit with DDos from other sites hosted on the server, causing everything to go down, I understand VPS other accounts will not effect one another? If there was a DDos attack who would handle that?

Thanks

Hello, After reading good reviews on your service I am looking at a VPS package, have a few questions first..

Who is responsible for maintaining upgrades, patches, security issues?

I have a reseller account on a shared server now with cpanel/whm, can you transfer everything for me? I will order Cpanel with your VPS.

What do is there to running a vps? Is it much different than Cpanel/WHM on a shared host?

The shared hosting I am on now has been hit with DDos from other sites hosted on the server, causing everything to go down, I understand VPS other accounts will not effect one another? If there was a DDos attack who would handle that?

Thanks

Hello MikeT,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Since you currently use cPanel/WHM we can definitely migrate all your data over just so you order cPanel with us. The approach is simple. Just place an order with us, await your welcome email with IP information, then submit a support ticket asking for migration assistance.

Regarding maintaining security patches, etc. cPanel updates nightly so with these updates your cPanel will be updated as the vendor releases such updates. If you want us to login outside these updates and make sure things are secure, just ask us to and we will upon request.

Comparing a reseller hosting account to a cPanel VPS there are differences but they all give you more power and freedom. With a cPanel VPS you get full WHM access so you can now create unlimited WHM accounts unlike with traditional reseller hosting with cPanel. Also, with a VPS you get your own mail server, own FTP server, own Apache, etc. So you now can control your own environment how you please and not me at the mercy of others on the same server. No more possible IP's being blacklisted due to you sharing a server with customers spamming everyone. Now since you have your own mail server the only ones sending mail via that mail server is you and your customers. Keep in mind we are here to help with things too so upon the initial setup just open a support ticket if you need some help.

DDOS attacks are for us to deal with not you. DDOS attacks can bring down an entire network not just one server. The way we deal with DDOS's are simple. If we host a client who gets DDOS'ed consistently and our clients are negatively affected, we will ask them to leave. We host a very reliable network and don't allow things that bring on such attacks. Things like IRC, Proxy, VPN, etc, etc are prohibited on our network and always will be. Hope this answers your questions.

-Jay

One more question, Who does your tech support?

My current host outsourced to another country and all you get is basic answers and generic responses, or they have to send it to another dept.

Thanks

One more question, Who does your tech support?

My current host outsourced to another country and all you get is basic answers and generic responses, or they have to send it to another dept.

Thanks

Hello,

Our company as a whole have people working for us from all over the world so you will get various people from various locations replying to your tickets. You won't be getting the type of support you referenced above with basic answers, moving to another department, etc. Support is a major focus of ours so you can expect solid support with fast response times.

-Jay

Thanks for the quick answers, looks like you will be getting another customer, alot of great reviews on Webhostingtalk forum..

Can't decide on TX or Cal. though, pinged both and ca was a little slower, Is there that much of a difference between the two, I like the extra bandwith but uptime and faster load time are more important to me

Both datacenters are excellent so you won't go wrong with either. I would assume your faster pings to Texas are based on your geographic location. Our clients are very happy in both so don't feel California is less quality based on the double bandwidth. That offer won't be around forever.

-Jay