VPS DirectAdmin and SMF

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I have a cPanel reseller account with an other hosting company, but I am unhappy with their uptime and level of service and am looking to move over the Christmas break.

Most of the sites are for personal use, with basic websites and low use email accounts. One site hosts a Wordpress blog & a small mailing list.

However, the main site uses php and perl, a SMF Forum with under 100 users & 15 well used email accounts.

I was originally thinking of just transferring to another reseller account. But perhaps a VPS account would be a better option.

At the moment I could only afford the VPSM account, and from what I have read that won't have enough ram for cPanel. DirectAdmin seems a lighter option but I have not used it before so am unsure whether it supports Wordpress and SMF?

I would be happy to setup everything again including email accounts, transferring the websites manually via ftp. I would also be prepared to restart the wordpress blog from scratch but the forum would have to be transferred intact and I am not sure how easy that will be. My only hosting experience is with cPanel but I do have some experience with linux command line.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Does DirectAdmin support Wordpress and SMF?
2. Would you be prepared to install these for me?
3. If managing a VPS turns out to be too difficult a learning curve for me. How easy would it be to transfer everything from the DirectAdmin VPS to a cPanel reseller account?

Transferring from CPanel to DA will mean that you have to manually recreate all the domains, subdomains, emails, databases and everything and then import your data back into those databases and emails and download/upload all your websites/pages. Last time I checked there weren't any scripts to do this automatically so if you want to switch to DA there's more to it than just switching.

CPanel won't run very well on the VPSM because it uses so much ram so you'd be looking at the VPSL.

Hope that helps

So I guess my questions are:

1. Does DirectAdmin support Wordpress and SMF?
2. Would you be prepared to install these for me?
3. If managing a VPS turns out to be too difficult a learning curve for me. How easy would it be to transfer everything from the DirectAdmin VPS to a cPanel reseller account?

1. Of course.
2. Yup support will install those for you.
3. I believe it shouldn't be a big deal but let's way for Knownhost-Joel to respond.

Regards,

Well you need at least 256 mb of ram to run smf the right way.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I started out on the VPSM with

Several WP blogs
3 SMF forums (All < 100 members)
Several Coppermine Installs
Several Gallery2 installs

It ran quite well. I think the key here is the lower overhead DA that makes it possible. I wouldn't really try that with a cPanel VPS.

For me so 256 looks so far large, I have yet my VPS all running with ftp smtp pop3 httpd vbulletin (7kusers 10kposts) mysql, well the website is closed for now but on a 128Mb VPS, all this takes 35/40% of the ram so I doubt my visitors will explode the mem, as soon as you're not running a very big board 128Mb is good to start for. You can always upgrade later or work making your cfg to have the lowest ram usage first is a good idea to understand then if you get futur mem usages behaviours.

Thanks for the feedback

Have been busy - my hosts server is down again and I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to find out what is going on. :( Will be glad to see the back of them.

I really don't want to spend too much on a VPS until I know whether it is a good fit for me. I am not really in the hosting business - just host sites for a couple of customers that I do other work for. But this one client site has expanded more than I thought. They are a community group so I am charging them the bare minimum. I have talked about the possibility of upgrading their account, but need to get their site working and have a firm cost before sitting down with them. It would also be unfair to tell them it will cost you $x more then come back a month later and say sorry you will have to pay another $x.

One of my concerns with a reseller account is that their emails per hour may increase and most hosts seem to have an hourly limit. Also I have had so much trouble with downtime mostly (I suspect) from other users being hacked running bad scripts etc on the shared server. If I am on my own (virtual) server the only person I have to worry about doing dumb things is me :).

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was planning to make this decision nearer to Christmas but with this new server outage perhaps I will make the decision sooner

Signed up for VPS-Lca

Thanks for all the help everyone. I decided to try the VPS-Lca DirectAdmin plan. With the KHtriple special it seemed the safest option.

I had an initial problem with my registrar not allowing me to register my own nameservers, but HnownHost support helped me setup the A records manually until I can transfer my domains to another registrar.

I have lots of questions but have decided to read thru the documentation and faq's before posting stupid questions. I did ssh into my shiny new server and have a poke around. Not being a linux ninja I did a "yum install mc", then my courage faded and I decided to leave well enough alone for now.

again, thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the help everyone. I decided to try the VPS-Lca DirectAdmin plan. With the KHtriple special it seemed the safest option.

I had an initial problem with my registrar not allowing me to register my own nameservers, but HnownHost support helped me setup the A records manually until I can transfer my domains to another registrar.

I have lots of questions but have decided to read thru the documentation and faq's before posting stupid questions. I did ssh into my shiny new server and have a poke around. Not being a linux ninja I did a "yum install mc", then my courage faded and I decided to leave well enough alone for now.

again, thanks for the advice

Welcome to Knownhost! Participate here often. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here ;)

Glad we could help. Thread closed.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.