VPS Addons

Maxius

I have a VPS XL account with KH, and i'm fairly happy.

I recently got the +256mb Ram Addon, which was 12.50.

I then enquired about another +256Mb, but was told there is no 512Mb Addon - and I can't have 2x 256Mb Addons.

If I wanted more ram, I would have to upgrade the whole plan.

Hmm.. :confused:

No offense, but that is a bit silly.

If I did want to somehow get another 256mb, I can't. Not even if I upgrade to the TripleX plan - that only gives you an extra 192mb above the 320Mb the XL offers.
Not to mention that just to get it, I would be paying an extra $35 a month.
(Oh yeah, you get an extra 200gb bandwidth and 10gb disk space.. whoopee)

To me, getting anything higher than an XL plan doesn't really seem to be very good value.

Normally, if you have a plan (almost) twice the price of another, you expect at least double the resources on that.

But for an extra $35 all you get is an extra 192mb Ram, 10gb disk space, and 200gb bandwidth? Sorry, No sale.

It'd almost be worth ordering just another VPS XL and running them in tandem, except that'd be a pain in the ass to administrate.

Just my 2c,
Love the support and uptime, etc.
Also waiting for dedicated server plans.. then I might find it worth upgrading.

Max

Hello,

Our plans were all carefully thought out for a good balance and sorry but offering RAM upgrades as you asked for above isn't something we are planning to do. With other providers you need to upgrade the entire plan to get the specs you may need in just one category (RAM or Disk Space for example). We have made it easier for customers to only upgrade what they actually require but if we offer unlimited upgrade options per plan this would be a mess. So per VPS plan there are set upgrade options before you have to upgrade to a higher spec'ed plan. The way we have designed this is much better then you will find other places. Sorry you don't agree. We try to accomodate our customers the best we can factoring in ourselves at the same time as we need to be able to deliver what we advertise.

-Jay

We have made it easier for customers to only upgrade what they actually require but if we offer unlimited upgrade options per plan this would be a mess. So per VPS plan there are set upgrade options before you have to upgrade to a higher spec'ed plan.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for replying promptly.

I do understand where you're coming from, and I didn't mean there should be unlimited upgrades for the VPS plans, but cmon, +256mb upgrades are the most you offer?

Even on the highest plan WITH the 256mb upgrade, that makes a total of 768mb?

If I was on this plan and had a site busy enough to take full advantage of that 750gb of bandwidth, I'd put a sure bet on that i'd run out of memory way before I hit that 750gb. (No matter how tweaked everything was)

Regarding how you thought out the pricing structure for your plans, I ran some figures through Excel, and the results were interesting:

Resource Cost per plan:

Ram: (Cents per Mb)
M: 15.63c, L: 11.72c, XL: 12.5c, XXL: 13.39c, XXX: 14.65c
Disk Space: (Dollars per Gb)
M: $2.86, L: $3.00, XL: $2.00, XXL: $2.40, XXX: $2.50
Bandwidth: (Cents per Gb)
M: 8.0c, L: 7.5c, XL: 7.27c, XXL: 9.23c, XXX: 10c

So as I mentioned earlier, things start to get dearer as you move any higher than the XL plan.

I certainly want you guys to succeed, but i'm sure there are a few people who don't sign up because they have done their sums and are not sure if it'll meet their needs if not now, but when they grow a bit.

That XXX plan really needs a bit more..

Thanks for the info. I am sure we will discuss this in our monthly meeting. Have a good one.

Thanks,
Joel

+1 for dedicated option and...

...me showing interest in additional RAM and possibility of dedicated server upgrades for existing clients so as to motivate discussions on the subject in your meetings.

Possibility of dedicated server options = not something KH actually sells/markets, but an option available to existing clients who may find that they have suddenly outgrown all VPS options.

We're developing on a cms that runs something like 190 queries on the home page and gobbles up between 10-12megs of RAM per Apache child process (I'm not too clued in on correct terms) for logged in users, where caching does not apply.

I too like most of KH clients am very happy with service and product. Would really be interested in finding a solution other than moving to another host when our site requires dedicated resources. Something collaborative and co-operative to benefit of KH and KH customers.

Maxius/onelove,

We decided to add one more RAM upgrade option:

+384 MB: $17.50/mo

Hope this willl help a bit.

Thanks,
Joel

Just thought I would add something without reading many of the above posts...

If they let you purchase as much memory as you want at that price, it'd be $50/month for a gig which means if they have to allocate a dedicated 1GB to you, and not that many VPS's could fit on one server. Like Jay said, there has to be balance, otherwise resources will be wasted.

-Caleb

KH - would it be possible to allow for more HD upgrades - My needs are fine reg RAM, for me I need more hard drive space - can you allow for more HD upgrades?

Thanks

ppc,

We did update this thread (4-5 posts above) and have added +384 RAM as an a la carte addon. We will not be adding or modifying the current setup any further (at least in the immediate future). Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Joel

ppc,

We did update this thread (4-5 posts above) and have added +384 RAM as an a la carte addon. We will not be adding or modifying the current setup any further (at least in the immediate future). Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Joel

:confused:

Correct and then I replied (3 posts above) the following:

KH - would it be possible to allow for more HD upgrades - My needs are fine reg RAM, for me I need more hard drive space - can you allow for more HD upgrades?

Thanks

KH - Any update?

May I ask what you had in mind besides the options we already have? I will pass it up the chain to see what gets said. Thanks.

Regards,
Joel

Although I'm a fan of new addons, this goes back to the fact that if too many resources are taken up as addons, it leaves less room for new VPSes.

Although I'm a fan of new addons, this goes back to the fact that if too many resources are taken up as addons, it leaves less room for new VPSes.

Can you elaborate? How does adding more HD space as an add-on leave less room for new VPSes? You can easily add more HD's and for the $30 a month one would pay, the cost of more HD's if even needed would be quickly recouped.

Can you elaborate? How does adding more HD space as an add-on leave less room for new VPSes? You can easily add more HD's and for the $30 a month one would pay, the cost of more HD's if even needed would be quickly recouped.

I guess you kind of have a point, but if the datacenter wouldn't sell KH more hard drives, then KH has to pay to ship the extra ones and then set them up in the RAID array. I'm not sure how much trouble this would be but either way it sounds like they've considered it ;)