Virtuozzo backups

stormrider

Hello,

I would like to known where KH store the virtuozzo backups, is it on the same machine that run the VPS or is it on another machine?

If we have a HD failure on a node, can you recover all VPS?

Is it daily or weekly backups?

Sorry about all those questions but today a friend that own some VPS ( outside knownhost ) had problems and after 30 hours of downtime their host just told that their RAID5 had failed and that all their data are lost.

Since he don't have any backups all his clients ( more than 120 ) lost everything. Can you imagine this happening to you? :eek:

I configured cpanel to make FTP backups from all accounts everyday. Is it enough to restore VPS? Or should i make backup from other files too?

Last time I asked customers did not have any kind of access to Virtuozzo's backup files. If you ever touch anything outside of your user's directory, cPanel doesn't know or care about it, so you should keep your own local copy to be safe. I tar up /etc, /home and /usr every few months.

Hi stormrider,

Hello,

I would like to known where KH store the virtuozzo backups, is it on the same machine that run the VPS or is it on another machine?

VPS backups are stored on different servers.

If we have a HD failure on a node, can you recover all VPS?

We will do our best to do so however not everything is in our power. I can think of at least the following situations where we won't be able to restore customer's VPS in case if physical hardware should fail:
- Backup is corrupted (very low probability but still exists);
- Customer removed all backups from the maintenance section in power panel (doesn't depend on us);
- Both, production and backup node died at the same time (very low probability).

In other words - I would say "in most cases - yes" but we do not and cannot guarantee this, as such we recommend our customers to keep their own copy of their data just in case. You know, better be safe than sorry.

Is it daily or weekly backups?

Neither. We run backups every other day.

I configured cpanel to make FTP backups from all accounts everyday. Is it enough to restore VPS? Or should i make backup from other files too?

This should be enough to restore actual accounts with their files, account-specific configuration, etc but these backups won't contain any customization you might have outside of your account's home directories.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Paul,

First of all, thanks for your answers.

I just have one last question to you, is it possible to download the Virtuozzo backups and store on my machine or store on a remote FTP?

khiltd,

Thanks for the tips about what to backup but i found out that i would spend too much bandwidth doing this.

I'll try to find out if there is a way to backup configuration files over FTP with CPanel ( which i couldn't do yet ).

Hello Paul,

First of all, thanks for your answers.

I just have one last question to you, is it possible to download the Virtuozzo backups and store on my machine or store on a remote FTP?

khiltd,

Thanks for the tips about what to backup but i found out that i would spend too much bandwidth doing this.

I'll try to find out if there is a way to backup configuration files over FTP with CPanel ( which i couldn't do yet ).

What makes you think that downloading your Virtuozzo backups wouldn't consume even more bandwidth? They don't contain just your config directories, they contain the entire OS and everything else on your little virtual partition.

You should be able to get some scripts you can install via SSH to back up any directories you want. Then either download them manually or ftp them to a remote automatically. Set it up via cron.

Even though a host says they try their best to preserve the backups. You never know what can happen. I used to be with Lonex and they moved servers on me and crashed it. Took them about a week to get my info back off an old backup.. Of course my data was old but atleast I still had the base. I could have avoided this if I was running backups on my own.
Unless you pay a service to backup your data, never rely on anyone to backup your data. It should be your responsibility. It's just nice that a host does it.

There are 3 rules on any site..
Rule 1: Backup
Rule 2: Backup again
Rule 3: If confused about rules 1 & 2 see rule 4.
Rule 4: Backup.....

What makes you think that downloading your Virtuozzo backups wouldn't consume even more bandwidth? They don't contain just your config directories, they contain the entire OS and everything else on your little virtual partition.

I never said that virtuozzo backup wouldn't consume more bandwidth. I just asked if i can download this backup.

I never said that virtuozzo backup wouldn't consume more bandwidth. I just asked if i can download this backup.

stormrider said:

You said downloading your config files would consume too much bandwidth yet you want to know how to download an even larger file that would consume many times more bandwidth. Not making a lot of sense to me, but either way, no, you can't do it.