Understanding cPanel migrations

Terry Frazier

I have a question on cPanel migrations. I ask because it may affect which domain I migrate first and how I do it.

I have multiple domains at another host, all under one cPanel. Due to problems at this host the domains are “locked” in cPanel and cannot be deleted from the account. The host has had the account in “migration” mode since August, causing the lock. I long ago gave up on them, but I can’t get a response from tech support to turn off the migration mode.

For naming reasons, I want one of the subdomain/add-on domains as primary on the new vps. I think to accomplish this I need to migrate just the one domain rather than do an initial cPanel migration of the entire old account - which I believe will replicate the old structure. Is this correct? I can do this migration manually.

However, if that same domain is later imported again, as part of a complete cPanel migration -- that is, a second instance of the domain is created under a cPanel account, at least temporarily -- what will happen?

Will I be able to delete the 2nd instance post-migration? Or will I need to manually migrate each domain individually?

Under normal circumstances this situation would not occur, but since I cannot delete domains from the old cPanel I need some guidance

If this is not clear just let me know and I will try and be more specific.

Thanks.

- twf

Hey @Terry Frazier

I'm not familiar with the 'locked in migration' mode, however this may be some host specific setting or configuration creating the issues for you. I'm sorry to hear that. If you'd like, you can always open a Support Ticket and let us take a look for you, just to make sure nothing can be done from your/our end on that.

It seems like you are familiar with cPanel Addon -> Individual Account Migrations however, if not that link is a Knowledgebase Article that may come in handy.

As for what will happen during that migration, from my experiences if the domain already exists on the destination server the migration (restoration portion) will fail. Although, I believe if using the command line restoration function ( /scripts/restorepkg ) you can add the
Code:
--force
flag to skip any warnings or errors that would prevent the restoration with out the flag.

However, if that same domain is later imported again, as part of a complete cPanel migration -- that is, a second instance of the domain is created under a cPanel account, at least temporarily -- what will happen?

As for this portion, I'm not certain how the force flag will handle it. cPanel's default would be to create it as it was originally (an addon domain) in the restore account.

I hope this answers some of your questions, let me know if you have any others or would like any assistance.

Thanks David. You have confirmed what I suspected. I did not think creating a second instance of the same domain could be a good thing.

I think the migration lock is just some sort of administrative lock on the account to keep it from changing while they migrated it. I'm sure it was supposed to be temporary - lasting only a few minutes or hours as the migration took place. I never heard of it before, and discovered it quite by accident when I recently tried to delete old subdomains I no longer needed.

Months ago I originally requested that host migrate my account to one of their VPS accounts. They did initiate the migration, however it failed. For weeks, over and over. There are only 6-7 domains there and less than 5Gb of data. It's not a big deal. But it was for them. Should have taken an hour. But after weeks it wasn't done and eventually their service deterioriated to the point that I could not get any response at all from them. I'm sure I willl get a response when I stop paying them, but I don't want to do that until everything is moved.

I may open a ticket and let you guys have a look. I'm pretty sure I can still manually delete the files/directories/email/ftp accounts, etc for the domain. And I have moved DNS SOA over to ZoneEdit so even the DNS records at the host are no longer valid. But they still exist.

I will read that cPanel article thoroughly before asking further questions oon the matter. Thanks for your response.

- twf

@Terry Frazier

Sure! Any time.

Sorry to hear about your terrible experiences with the prior host, but on the flip side, welcome to the KnownHost family! Feel free to check out contact methods for me in my signature.