To SSD?

JohnA

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been answered before. I might want to transition to managed ssd from my current managed vps - how much downtime would I experience and would IP's, access to cpanel, FTP, etc. change?

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been answered before. I might want to transition to managed ssd from my current managed vps - how much downtime would I experience and would IP's, access to cpanel, FTP, etc. change?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our SSD plans.

When upgrading to SSD you will experience a short amount of downtime while your VPS is moved over to our SSD nodes. Your data and IP's will remain intact as they are currently.

To begin the transition over to SSD. Open a ticket by emailing billing@knownhost.com off your registered email address with your request and we will generate you a pro-rated invoice for your Move to an SSD plan of your choice.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

To detail a but more on Chris's reply, realistically you'd probably see under 10 mins of downtime. Generally it's not even noticeable.

There's one thing I would like to clarify. If let's say there's a downtime of 10-15 minutes during my migration to VPS SSD, and that I use private nameservers (ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com), what will happen if someone sent me an email coincidentally during that downtime (e.g. using their Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail account), will they immediately receive "No MX or A records for mydomain.com" hard bounce type of error?

There's one thing I would like to clarify. If let's say there's a downtime of 10-15 minutes during my migration to VPS SSD, and that I use private nameservers (ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com), what will happen if someone sent me an email coincidentally during that downtime (e.g. using their Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail account), will they immediately receive "No MX or A records for mydomain.com" hard bounce type of error?

Typically; they'd wouldn't receive a message at all -- it would be delivered to the old host/server that you were migrating away from.

DNS Servers would still have the old addresses of your private nameservers cached; and as long as that server is still be online during your migration, mail would be still getting delivered to the old server.

When you change your nameservers, providing that the old server is still online -- mail would still be delivered until Global DNS Propagation has occurred and then at that point, mail would be delivered to the new server based on the nameserver IP's and the domains that utilized them.

The best way to avoid the above scenario; would probably be to migrate the accounts over and if you have control over the DNS Zones for each of the domains, manually set their MX records/A records to point towards the new server on the old server.

That way, during the migration process the only thing you would probably have to do is a final sync over for any missing emails that occurred while DNS propagation was happening.

The only way that you'd receive a bounceback is if you had a period of time where you had the nameservers being used have non-respondent IP's; but that ususally isn't the case in migrations.