Thinking of VPS and/or Reseller

U

Unregistered

I was looking at getting into the reselling business, but haven't fully decided yet. I know at the very least I would need 2 VPS's, even if only to hold one for a friend who's website is getting severely cpu throttled on Hostmonster due to high php/mysql usage, though bandwidth is only about 50G a month right now.

I do have a couple questions though, and after browsing through the forums, couldn't find some specific answers to them. First, let me say that I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop so I am not a complete dummy to Linux as a whole, but to the administration of a web server I am.

So, I am looking at the VS2 package, at least to start. I have seen that PHP 5 and Mysql 5 are installed by default, as well as CentOS. I know that a VPS is a virtual server inside a server box (or blade I think they're called now for the box itself). So technically, you are given partitions of what that box holds.

What I'd like to know is:

1) What happens if you go over your memory allocation for your package? Do you get throttled or charged for it? Do you get warned the first time?

2) How much CPU is allocated for each VPS? On one hosting, (which I didn't look at because it was self managed) they dedicate no less than 10% of the cpu to the VPS but can use more if needed for peak times. I ask this because the CPU is my friend's main problem right now, as page cache cannot be done. (Sometimes things update in seconds, not just minutes.)

3) What specific versions of PHP and Mysql are installed? Are they the latest versions? Currently the latest PHP is 5.3.2 and the lastest Mysql Community Server is 5.1.45. (Wait, I see a 5.5 in there but not sure what the difference is.)

4) Is the reseller for shared hosting or can you do reselling VPS? In the rare case I get, or need to move, someone from a reseller to a small VPS.

5) Is there a list somewhere of everything that get installed by default, including what some might consider minor? I saw Zend was installed by default, but what about php modules like GD? I am assuming from the support page that if it isn't installed by default, help will be provided if needed?

6) I am confused by this one part in the AUP, Bulk Commercial Email. Does that count if I need to send out a message to clients that their sites will be down for maintenance or if maybe I am offering a special deal on my site that is not related to their hosting accounts like in a Newsletter? I am a php coder and am considering offering my coding services on top of the reselling. (I'm not the best, and don't know php in and out, but I ran into someone selling code that doesn't even know how arrays work. Figure if they can do it, so can I.)

Now, for other resellers out there:

1) When doing searches for VPS, it took me 2 days to find Known Host. Which makes me think, how is the market for reselling? Am I am getting in over my head even thinking about this?

Let me just say, I am SO glad to have found Known Host. Looking into VPS for my friend and the basic packages most were selling was $90 a month, it was disappointing to two people with very little money to spend on a "free" website. It is absolutely wonderful to find you here, not only with prices that completely took me back, but also with wonderful support from what I have read here in your forums.

Sandra

Sandra,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. I've copied your questions below and answered each of them inline. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

1) What happens if you go over your memory allocation for your package? Do you get throttled or charged for it? Do you get warned the first time?

--It's like a Dedicated Server. You get a set amount of RAM if you max it out certain things will stop working one by one. You can't go beyond the RAM that's included in your VPS plan. CPU you burst so your not hard limited on the CPU share.

2) How much CPU is allocated for each VPS? On one hosting, (which I didn't look at because it was self managed) they dedicate no less than 10% of the cpu to the VPS but can use more if needed for peak times. I ask this because the CPU is my friend's main problem right now, as page cache cannot be done. (Sometimes things update in seconds, not just minutes.)

--We provide Equal Share CPU which means you have access to the entire server's CPU but we don't allow you to consistently burst beyond the 25% soft limit we list in our TOS/AUP. So performance wise your able to use all the CPU but if we see a trend of excessive CPU usage we will be in touch. Rarely does this occur and if it does this means you need your own Dedicated Server.

3) What specific versions of PHP and Mysql are installed? Are they the latest versions? Currently the latest PHP is 5.3.2 and the lastest Mysql Community Server is 5.1.45. (Wait, I see a 5.5 in there but not sure what the difference is.)

--This depends on the control panel you order. We'd recommend cPanel which uses MySQL 5x and PHP 5x as most prefer to use.

4) Is the reseller for shared hosting or can you do reselling VPS? In the rare case I get, or need to move, someone from a reseller to a small VPS.

--Not sure what your question is here. With a VPS you can sell shared hosting and Reseller hosting and if they outgrow that you can purchase a seperate VPS for them and we'd assist migrating all their data. This does happen time to time and we will assist with the move.

5) Is there a list somewhere of everything that get installed by default, including what some might consider minor? I saw Zend was installed by default, but what about php modules like GD? I am assuming from the support page that if it isn't installed by default, help will be provided if needed?

--Zend is installed by default and per request GD we will install. Installing things like that are free and we will take care of it. If there is something specific you require just let us know and I can confirm for you but this is NEVER an issue.

6) I am confused by this one part in the AUP, Bulk Commercial Email. Does that count if I need to send out a message to clients that their sites will be down for maintenance or if maybe I am offering a special deal on my site that is not related to their hosting accounts like in a Newsletter? I am a php coder and am considering offering my coding services on top of the reselling. (I'm not the best, and don't know php in and out, but I ran into someone selling code that doesn't even know how arrays work. Figure if they can do it, so can I.)

--Your example is just fine. We put that in the AUP as there are lots of spammers on the internet who send a blast of emails to people who never asked for it (not clients and just sending unsolicited emails).

Regards,
Joel

Sandra,

--We provide Equal Share CPU which means you have access to the entire server's CPU but we don't allow you to consistently burst beyond the 25% soft limit we list in our TOS/AUP. So performance wise your able to use all the CPU but if we see a trend of excessive CPU usage we will be in touch. Rarely does this occur and if it does this means you need your own Dedicated Server.

Regards,
Joel

I couldn't see in the screenshot for the management panel if you can monitor cpu usage. Is that possible?

Sandra

Some more questions. I would've edited my last post but realized I couldn't as a guest, so sorry for the double post.

1) Can you see management of resources by domain? This includes hard drive, RAM, and CPU.

2) I saw there were specials for monthly VPS accounts. Does this include reseller? I am assuming no since there is nothing under Other, and with the discounts for multiple purchases in the VIP/reseller program.

3) When I said reselling a VPS, I was basically meaning buying a VPS for a client and then reselling it to them. Which would be the case with my friend, who will need one probably within 6-9 months.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure that I will be able to monitor my usage, as well as individual clients, so that I will know before you contact me that I would need to upgrade.

Sandra

Hello Sandra,

Please see inline. I've answered your followup questions. Hope this helps.

1) Can you see management of resources by domain? This includes hard drive, RAM, and CPU.

--You can see the resource usage for the entire VPS within the VZPP (Virtuozzo Powerpanel). Per domain you'd need to rely on cPanel but this won't be for everything. You can see disk space usage via cPanel.

2) I saw there were specials for monthly VPS accounts. Does this include reseller? I am assuming no since there is nothing under Other, and with the discounts for multiple purchases in the VIP/reseller program.

--When you say "Reseller" are you referring to the VIP Program? That is for clients who order more then one VPS and we have lots of them. They get a unique coupon code for themselves per the discount grid we have listed on our VIP Page. Since you don't have any VPS's your first 2 VPS's you should use the coupon KH2010 and once you purchase your ready for your 3rd VPS we will give you a coupon unique to yourself.

3) When I said reselling a VPS, I was basically meaning buying a VPS for a client and then reselling it to them. Which would be the case with my friend, who will need one probably within 6-9 months.

--Yes, we have many clients who resell VPS's based on our VPS plans.

Thanks,
Joel

Just one other question.

1) Do you limit overselling? I know some companies don't allow overselling, just thought I'd ask.

Ok, make that two questions.

2) Say I have 1 VPS and have one client I need to move to another larger space but there is no room on that VPS. So I get another one to hold larger space clients. I know the move itself will be very quick, but what about DNS? Will there be a DNS propagation downtime? This is because I assume there is no sharing IPs between VPS's, and each can only have unique IPs.

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I am new to this aspect of business.

Sandra

Sandra,

Please see the answers below. Have a nice weekend.

1) Do you limit overselling? I know some companies don't allow overselling, just thought I'd ask.

--VPS's you can oversell as you please since it's your own server/VPS. We don't oversell but within the VPS it's totally up to you. We don't stop you from doing it. Our physical servers are not oversold but that's a seperate discussion.

2) Say I have 1 VPS and have one client I need to move to another larger space but there is no room on that VPS. So I get another one to hold larger space clients. I know the move itself will be very quick, but what about DNS? Will there be a DNS propagation downtime? This is because I assume there is no sharing IPs between VPS's, and each can only have unique IPs.

--Yes, a seperate VPS would have different IP's so if you move that customer to a different VPS then there is DNS Propagation involved.

Thanks,
Joel

I grew tired of posting as a guest, so created a forum account.

Is there any idea on when the current special is going to end?

Sandra

I grew tired of posting as a guest, so created a forum account.

Is there any idea on when the current special is going to end?

Sandra

We usually find out the day or the day before it will expire as it's based on availability. So there is no defined day. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Joel

Sandra,

Please see the answers below. Have a nice weekend.

--VPS's you can oversell as you please since it's your own server/VPS. We don't oversell but within the VPS it's totally up to you. We don't stop you from doing it. Our physical servers are not oversold but that's a seperate discussion.

--Yes, a seperate VPS would have different IP's so if you move that customer to a different VPS then there is DNS Propagation involved.
[Broken External Image]:http://www.1-imageshack.us/images/images/45.gif
Thanks,
Joel
So overselling is not a problem great thanks.

Hi,
Though this appears to be an old discussion but It helped me clear up many things for me. I am here for some more clarifications, if possible at this stage. I wish to come from some other service provider where I have a reseller account and a VPS. Trust me, people are moving out from there even recently. I am referred by a client there who moved to you recently due to some reasons I am not going to discuss here.
Please help me in understanding following about you:
1. If I move to you, will you shift all my clients from there (on reseller and vps both) to you as it is? there are 2 reseller account on my vps there with their own clients.
2. I have WHMC there, will you also transfer that database? because I am going to keep my whmcs license.
3. What about creating master resellers? is it possible at your end?
4. I read that overselling is allowed but in case I need more space or RAM, will I have to upgrade on a higher VPS or just can add them on my current plan?
5. I have TOMCAT there, will it be available here? on which plan? as it appears to be a resource hungry thing.
6. I have few clients who only buy hosting space for email marketing. What do you do with them if you figure out they are sending bulk mails?
Thanks in advance

1. I'm assuming you're referring to cPanel reseller accounts. If this is the case, then yes we can certainly do this for you assuming the backup functionality is not disabled on the source, etc.
2. Yes, the cPanel account transfer of that account will bring it over.
3. I'm not familiar with all the "reseller lingo" but you'll be able to create reseller accounts from within WHM on your VPS.
4. You can oversell the resources you buy. That's completely up to you. RAM isn't something that you assign to cPanel accounts necessarily as it is just something that you server will need more of as it grows. We have a la carte upgrade options available as well as plan upgrades.
5. You're welcome to use Tomcat. We can install it for you, but configuring it and installing applications for it will be up to you. Tomcat is very resources hungry. I doubt you use this on a reseller account...are you sure that you use it?
6. If they're sending unsolicited bulk email you'll be asked to terminate that account from our network. It's your responsibility to ensure the mails they're sending are legitimate and abide by our bulk mailing policies.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Hi,
Thank you for the help. Please refer to the:
Q 3. All my accounts are cPanel accounts. By Master Reseller I meant that whether my resellers can also make their own resellers? like sub resellers.
Q 4. OK now what is La Carte' option? I understand that RAM is for the whole server but usually VPSs go down on resource overuse. Which is why a higher RAM is recommended, isn't it?
Q 5. I don't use Tomcat on reseller. It was there on my VPS but I requested them to get rid of it.
Q6. How do you propose to monitor those accounts that are sending bulk emails? Do you provide in identifying them?
Thank you very much for previous reply.

3. WHM doesn't have this ability by default. Plugins are available that will accomplish this, however, I highly advise against it. This never ends well.
4. It means you can upgrade only RAM without having to touch any other resource.
5. I'd recommend not installing (or having it installed by us) then. By default it is not installed.
6. I'd recommend doing so by monitoring the type of clientele you get. If you get someone who's business is email marketing, and they're purchasing a simple cPanel shared plan, odds are they're going to be spamming.

Hi Jonathan,
I do have some accounts that I believe are for the marketing purpose only but when I ask them they say that they have double opt in method to send emails, etc. But I can't monitor every account for this. Is there any script available to monitor that?
please tell me the procedure for how to get my accounts moved in here if I am going to buy VPS now.
Thanks

There are tools inside of WHM for monitoring email activity. The makers of CSF (ConfigServer) also have some nice scripts available such as "Mail Queue Monitor".

All you have to do is sign up and open a support ticket once you receive your login info. and we'll be happy to assist you with the migration. We'll pretty much just need the login info of both servers.

I have already placed the order here, just waiting for the login info. by the way, I have a reseller HG and a vps. I would like to have both transferred here. but before that, is it possible that I do it in an installments of two? like first you shift my vps data from HG to KH and then later when I ask you then you do it from reseller?
or is there any possibility that I create accounts here with KH and then upload the cpanel backup in each account requesting your to restore it accordingly? what is the solution?
thanks

We can do it either way. If you want to do each migration separately it would be better to use two different tickets rather than "bumping" the first one when you're ready for the second if that makes sense.

If you upload cPanel backup files we can restore those if that's the route you so choose.