These new TLDs...

Chris.M

... anyone else find them to be completely awkward?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned when it comes to extensions, but man, these new TLDs are popping up like crazy and they seem to get more ridiculous by the day. Now admittedly, I have tossed around the idea of snagging my name with the extension associated with my political affiliation - ultimately decided against this because the sheer length of my name + the extension is absurd. There are a few, like .social and .link, that I'd be willing to try... but the majority of them, no thanks. Where does the madness stop? I mean, .sexy? Really now? :p

I can see how these would come in handy for businesses and brands, but otherwise I'm not feeling 'em. They don't look or feel very natural when entering them in as a URL, let alone when they're indexed by search engines.

I'll admit, I did pick up a couple of novelty TLD's directly related to the type of site they are. They'll not replace the .com TLD for those sites, but it's a nice novelty that was cheap.

I'll admit, I did pick up a couple of novelty TLD's directly related to the type of site they are. They'll not replace the .com TLD for those sites, but it's a nice novelty that was cheap.
I also have to admit that I picked up the political TLD that I referred to in my original post, on Friday, hah. I have no idea what I'll end up doing with it, and it looks about as ridiculous as I envisioned it to be. With the new TLDs, I'd imagine it greatly depends on what they're being used for (or how they're being used.). It's unlikely that I'd use one as the "primary" access domain, but as a redirection to an already established website/community? Perhaps.

It's more or less the length of the extensions (as opposed to the names) that strikes me as awkward. It'll be interesting to see if brands start adopting and using the extensions in day-to-day operations, marketing, etc.

@Dan and @KH-Jonathan: That's a no-brainer. KnownHost.SEXY... talk about a looker. A looker.

Last edited: