testing web site

Discussion in 'Linux VPS/Dedicated - General' started by hodgepro, Mar 15, 2011.

1. hodgepro

hodgepro New Member

I need to upgrade my CRELoaded shopping cart software and make some other changes to my web site. I do not want to do the work on my live site. I was thinking of copying everything to a new server account, doing the work and testing it there and finally changing the nameservers. To test the site I am thinking of using hosts files. Is there a better way to do this? Will hosts files work for testing before the DNS is updated? I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Dan

Dan Moderator

Hi hodgepro,

I have no idea how MySQL calls and everything will work if you go the hosts file route but couldn't you just create a subdomain or even just copy everything into a separate directory? Make a copy of the existing DB too of course :)

I haven't done shopping carts but I've done other sites this way and it worked fine.

3. hodgepro

hodgepro New Member

Thanks for your response. It is helpful to know how others do it. I asked the same question of tech support and Randy said that testing with hosts files should work. Obviously buying a separate VPS is more costly though.

Thanks,
    Alan

4. Tiger33

Tiger33 New Member

I test with host files alot and it works fine (in most cases)