SVN anyone?

gideon

For version control I want to run SVN (http://subversion.tigris.org) on my VPS. As it came with Apache 1.3.36 (cPanel) and SVN recommends Apache 2.x.x I want to install Apache 2.x.x on the same VPS. I understand I've to give it another portnumber but thats ok.

Anyone else done this? How do I start? I'm affraid that doing something like < yum install apache2 > destroys my VPS (cPanel etc). Because i'm not a linux guru I don't got any idea how to install it on another port and don't mess up the VPS. (I know about the listen PORT in http.conf but its the installing thing i'm worried about).

Anyone can give me some advice?

UPDATE: Seems it was unclear. I want a 2nd installation of Apache -> Version 2.x.x and want it to run on port 8080. I do NOT want to remove the existing Apache 1.3.36!

Well like you I dont know much better but May be I have the answer for your question:

Reference:
http://forums.knownhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=40

Sorry Apache 2 is not supported by Cpanel. We support what the software vendor supports.

Plesk and Webmin VPS will have Apache 2.0.52 which is a native version of Apache on CentOS 4.x / RHEL 4.x systems. As for cPanel - Apache v1.3.36 is installed by default, Apache 2 support in cPanel remains in Alpha version since middle of 2003.

You've misunderstood me. But thanks for replying.

I do NOT want the Apache 1.3.36 to be removed. Its vital for cPanel and thus cannot be changed. I want to install a 2nd apache ( version 2.x.x) on the VPS running just for the SVN. Because Apache 1.3.36 uses port 80 I want Apache 2.x.x to run on port 8080 for example.

edit: I know how I would do this on Windows, but on Linux i'm clueless. On windows its just (put Apache in a diff folder) apache -k install

Gideon,

I haven't used SVN myself, especially on cPanel servers but I definitely would not advice to install standard Apache 2.0.x RPMs in your VPS. At least /etc/init.d/httpd file will be replaced during RPMs installation and, as a result, cPanel will try to manage your secondary Apache instead of the primary one.
According to SVN FAQ at http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#multiple-apachim you should be able to use svnserve with Apache 1.3.x. If you want to use mod_dav_svn, then your best bet is to compile Apache 2.0 from source with prefix pointing to some custom location like /usr/local/svn-apache.

Thanks,
Paul

Ok, thanks for replying too. I had read the FAQ and that's how the whole Apache2 thing started :) I'm aware of svnserve, but their website also says Apache2 is the best possible method to set up the SVN. As I rather not use svnserve because it lacks some features i'm looking into getting Apache2 running as well. My knowledge about compiling Apache (or even something for linux) is like zero so i'm looking for a way to fix this.

If anyone got any tips, feel free to post :)

Alright, i've already found things like that, but I just want to be sure i don't 'enter a word here' up my VPS.

Therefor I opened this topic, while hoping someone already IS using SVN on a cPanel powered VPS. And as I said, i'm new to this whole linux thing (working with commandline etc, I can setup a simple gameserver on linux but can't talk about keeping your linux machine secure). So all help is still welcome.

Apache2.0.58 is installed :)
Svn 1.3.2 is installed :)

configuring SVN / Apache2

It took me 1+ week, but its setup, working and running just fine:)

However, I notice sometimes Apache2 just stops working, can't find an error. If I restart it using (/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl restart) it says, not started and restarts just fine.

So appearantly something is crashing Apache2 (occasionaly).

But ok, thats the info. Now the questions :)

Two Questions are remaining for me:
1) How can I set it up so it restarts automatically upon a crash?
2) Currently I've put usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start inside of /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it starts up when the system is booting. Is this the right approach? (at least, the most simple one).

Thanks for any answer on these final questions!

Gideon,

You may want to just pass this to support to get a faster answer. We watch the forums but this is more for the ticket system. Good luck.

-Jay

KnownHost-CEO said:
Gideon,

You may want to just pass this to support to get a faster answer. We watch the forums but this is more for the ticket system. Good luck.

-Jay
Will do, thanks for answering.

I just got svn working on my VPS along with cPanel running. I didn't use apache2 for svn, actually, you dont really need it unless you want to view the files through a web browser. I used svnserve to start it up then just connected to it through tortoisesvn.

First I created the svn:
svnadmin create /path/to/svn --fs-type=fsfs
(You can have multiple svns by controlling authz in the svn folders)

Then to start svn, I used:
svnserve -d -r /path/to/svn/or/folder/with/svns --listen-host <hostname>

When you go to connect through svn with something like tortoisesvn, use svn://<hostname> to get to it.
It works great for me and everyone else using it.