Suggested Books?

BAlGaInTl

Does anyone have any book suggestions for setting up and maintaining a VPS?

I'm still new to this... Everything is working fine, and for the most part I leave it alone. However, I would really like to start learning about the command line and how to operate the system in general.

Any reccomendations are appreciated.

What kind of things do you already know?

I never read any books to start learning linux command stuff or anything like that, I just gradually learned. Whenever I needed a command, I would google it, then the command would stick in my head after I used it a couple times. Once you make yourself familiar with some of the basic structures and commands in linux, it's pretty easy to manage a VPS or server with little to no trouble at all.

-Caleb

You should probably setup your own little server that doesn't do anything important before you go mucking around with anything live, but O'Reilly's books on Apache and BIND will teach you at least half of what a person who runs a web server will need to know. Might also want to reconsider whether or not root access is actually worth the extra cost to you at this point in time--not everybody needs a VPS account.

What kind of things do you already know?

I never read any books to start learning linux command stuff or anything like that, I just gradually learned. Whenever I needed a command, I would google it, then the command would stick in my head after I used it a couple times. Once you make yourself familiar with some of the basic structures and commands in linux, it's pretty easy to manage a VPS or server with little to no trouble at all.

-Caleb

I don't know much of anything yet. I have done most of my administration in the Virtuozzo control panel.

You should probably setup your own little server that doesn't do anything important before you go mucking around with anything live, but O'Reilly's books on Apache and BIND will teach you at least half of what a person who runs a web server will need to know. Might also want to reconsider whether or not root access is actually worth the extra cost to you at this point in time--not everybody needs a VPS account.

No, you are correct. I don't "need" root access. That being said. Even though I'm only on the smallest plan, I have never found a shared reseller account that offers the specs, speed, and support of a KH VPS for anywhere near the price.

If KH offered a DA reseller plan, I may be doing that, but alas.... they do not.

I do have an extra box sitting here with nothing on it. Perhaps I will set up a server on it to start messing around with.

Thanks for the input so far.

General knowledge about linux will help you, so you could start with some linux books which you can download for free if you just search on some search engines. Ask help if you have trouble finding, I will send you some links.

If you need spesific information for your VPS, try the CentOS main page or DirectAdmin forums.

General knowledge about linux will help you, so you could start with some linux books which you can download for free if you just search on some search engines. Ask help if you have trouble finding, I will send you some links.

If you need spesific information for your VPS, try the CentOS main page or DirectAdmin forums.

I have a good handle on DA. I've been using it for quite some time.

I will check out the CentOS page though.

The amount of Linux information out there is somewhat overwhelming. I've loaded a distro at home to start playing around. I guess that is one of the best things to do.

That will help. and for DA, it is not just DA knowledge, but because DA uses spesific version of Mysql, Php, Apache etc. you can read on forums what are people's experience and learn from them.