Strange change in size of new install

Discussion in 'Linux VPS/Dedicated - cPanel' started by Crunchy, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

I created a new account and did an install of a new WordPress website a couple months ago. I'm just using one of the built-in themes and haven't added any plugins. Other than that, it just has 5 email accounts. I really didn't think anyone would even know it was there since it was a new domain.

After installing, I immediately did a full backup through CPanel (directory, SQL database and email forwarders) and the size of the backup was around 30MB. Well, after a month or so, I decided to back it up again and the size of the install had increased to 150MB. Though nothing appears different with the website at the moment, I am assuming something has been compromised.

What would be the best route at this point? I would just like to recover the initial install backup. If I do a full recovery from those initial backups, won't it just overwrite the files that should be there, but leave any hacker/injected files as is? Should I delete everything in the account and then recover using the backup? If so, I am assuming this would best be done through a support ticket rather than Filezilla?

2. KH-Jonathan

KH-Jonathan Director of Managed Services Staff Member

@Crunchy,

This doesn't necessarily mean anything has been compromised. If you open a support ticket we can help locate what's using the space and it very easily could be an error log or similar. I'd recommend opening a ticket and letting us help you find the files eating the space.

3. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

Will do. Thanks.

4. doulos

doulos Member

Check your comments. Spamming WP sites with comments is real popular.

5. JoseDieguez

JoseDieguez Member

Indeed, check that, since i have seen some clients with thousands or even 100.000+spam comments...