SSL question(s)

Goodness... I hope I can ask my question(s) so they make sense... Y'all have been so helpful with all my other questions, this is probably easy stuff for you (teeth-grinding for me)...

Soooo... I'm setting up 3 ecommerce stores using OpenCart and their multi-store functionality.
Each store has it's own domain name.... but the way it's set up is: there's a primary domain name (1st store) and then the 2nd and 3rd stores are addon domain names.

I know I need to purchase an SSL certificate (I think I read somewhere that KH does not sell them?) but aside from knowing I need to do that, I'm just sort of lost:
1. Do I need to purchase a separate SSL for each of the 3 stores/domain names?
2. If so, do I use the www.2ndstore.com domain name for the addons, or do I use something different (like something that references the primary domain?).
3. Recommendations for affordable options?
4. Once they're purchased, then what do I do? (any chance I can just give the info to KH and they'll set it up for me so I don't mess up big-time? **crossing fingers**)

I'm feeling pretty dense about this... and I hope my questions make sense.
Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

I don't know about how OpenCart and their multi-store functionality works with a SSL but if the 2 other domains are sub-domains I'm guessing you would need a what's called a "Wildcard" cert this will cover the sub-domains and can be purchased here:
http://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/geotrust-ssl-certificates.aspx @ $126.00 per year.
You may need to contact OC on how to set this up or maybe some one here has done it before.

If it were me I would have set up each store as it own domain/cpanel, purchased a IP from KH for each $2.00 per year and then purchased a cert for each domain @ $10.00 per year see link above.
What this will do is make each store separate in case a customer want to leave you it very easy to give them the backup and say goodby.
I also recommend the "GeoTrust" cert
Just my humble option.

Thank you Dave for helping!!!

It's kind of a confusing situation. The 2nd and 3rd stores are subdomains in the hosting, but primary domain names as far as the actual stores are concerned (and they're all 3 my very own stores). I ended up with a company called SSL2BUY.com and I cannot say enough about their customer service. OMG... they're amazing and so patient. What I ultimately purchased was a 3-year multi-domain certificate (3 domain names), and they set it all up for me. All 3 are working perfectly, and the total cost for everything was $150 for the entire 3 years. At $50/year for all 3 domain names that seemed way way reasonable! I'm happy!!!

(of course, the stores aren't live yet... I just have all my fingers crossed that when they do go live everything works the way it's supposed to!!).

Glad to see you found one, out of curiosity did you purchase a "Comodo Multi Domain SSL"? if so I would be interested to know if you start getting, what Comodo calls sales emails I called them spam as I would get 2-4 per day. I stopped using Comodo.

Uh oh.... be just my luck! They call it a "PositiveSSL Multi-Domain Certificate", but yes, it's a Comodo multi-domain certificate. If they start pestering me like that I might have to sic my hubby on them. He's a BIG Texan, and you really don't want to cross him when he "fluffs"...lol
The price was sure right... but I'll definitely let you know if they start up with me!

You do not need to purchase different ssl certificate for each of your domain, if you have multiple domains (not sub domains) you can use Multi domain(SAN) ssl certificate from any of the trusted certification authorities such as geotrust, comodo, thawte etc. SAN SSL can secure up to 25 differnt domain names including different top level domain name, different second level domain name, different server names and different IPs. You can purchase Multi domain ssl at cheap prices from re-sellers. I found comodo multi domain ssl at $108/yr from one re-seller CheapSSLSecurity.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to come back and let you know that I have NOT received one single sales/spam email since purchasing the Comodo SSL. Maybe it depends on who you buy it through? Or maybe they got enough complaints that they stopped sending them? Anyways, not a peep out of them. :)

Glad to see you found one, out of curiosity did you purchase a "Comodo Multi Domain SSL"? if so I would be interested to know if you start getting, what Comodo calls sales emails I called them spam as I would get 2-4 per day. I stopped using Comodo.

Thanks TPG
Yah I had purchased it through HostGator and then had to setup a special email address to do a verification to say I was who I said I was and on and on should have known something was up, anyway they lost a customer because of there crap.