SSD VPS Suggestions

noreply

I just switched over from a VPS-3 package and I'm very happy with the speed of the SSD VPS — I do have a few suggestions (more like a "wishlist"):

1. Increase the amount of memory that comes standard with the SSD VPS. The VPS-3 had over twice the amount of memory available, which gave me more peace of mind.
2. Allow an option within the customer dashboard to reset the vps, or server to it's initial provisioned state. I think it would be a great feature for customers that may want to reset their server back to it's original state and would likely save a lot of time for your support staff if it was automated.
3. Use a KVM style console inside the customer dashboard instead of the Java one that doesn't work very well.

Other than that I'm really liking the upgrade from what I was using before!

I just switched over from a VPS-3 package and I'm very happy with the speed of the SSD VPS — I do have a few suggestions (more like a "wishlist"):

1. Increase the amount of memory that comes standard with the SSD VPS. The VPS-3 had over twice the amount of memory available, which gave me more peace of mind.
2. Allow an option within the customer dashboard to reset the vps, or server to it's initial provisioned state. I think it would be a great feature for customers that may want to reset their server back to it's original state and would likely save a lot of time for your support staff if it was automated.
3. Use a KVM style console inside the customer dashboard instead of the Java one that doesn't work very well.

Other than that I'm really liking the upgrade from what I was using before!

Glad to hear you're happy :)

1. The SSD-3 comes with a whole GB more than the VPS-3.
2. This has ended pretty badly in the past - people wiping their VPS from not understanding what the button does. We choose to not make it available to customers and instead require you to open up a ticket for this.
3. Java sucks. Not argument there. We're waiting on some vendors to finish up with HTML5 replacements - we're already testing an HTML5-based replacement internally.

The best place to buy your VPS hosting; KnownHost.

Good points there for sure... I was looking at the VPS memory thing from a cost standpoint - since I actually went from the VPS-3 to the SSD VPS-1 (seems like you could put one in there at the $45 range to fill that gap perhaps). My VPS-3 I think had 2.75 GB of memory while the SSD VPS-1 only comes with 1.25 GB. I upgraded to 1.5 GB, although I'm still a little concerned that it's not going to go far enough.

How do you decide which assets to include with a package? I notice my SSD VPS has 24 CPU's, while a friend of mine using another provider has only 2 CPU's but 8 GB of memory... We plan on doing some benchmarking to see which setup is more effective. CPU's or Memory.... I'll keep you posted :)

VPS-1 != SSD-1
VPS-2 != SSD-2
etc.

Nor are SSD plans an extension of VPS plans, ie VPS-7 -> SSD-1 is clearly a horrid and incorrect "upgrade" path.

The plans are not designed to be equivalents. The SSD plans are a totally different set of specifications and pricing. Just because a VPS-3 works well for you doesn't necessarily mean an SSD-3 plan is the right choice. SSDs are much more expensive than spinning disks hence the totally different set of plans.

For me it's all about speed, and that's why I went with the SSD VPS — not to mention the fact my previous VPS-3 was falling behind the times with CentOS 5. Don't get me wrong, the VPS-3 worked wonderfully for the many years I used it, although it was time to finally update to CentOS 7 and I figured the SSD VPS was the way to go, especially considering the speed factor and I never used hardly any of my total disk space on the VPS-3.

In your mind which is better, more memory or more cpu's? just curious.

That depends on the needs of your application. Some are memory-intensive, some are CPU-intensive, some are both.

I'd pick SSD plans over VPS plans every time. SSDs are insanely fast compared to traditional spinning disks. An SSD is generally the single biggest thing you can do to speed up a system.

I guess you can never have too much of either, particularly on a server running a diverse mix of applications. Hopefully Santa will be decking the halls of knownhost again this holiday season with nice stocking stuffers full of memory! :p