Spamassassin bouncing emails

Dan

Hello everyone,

After upgrading to CPanel 11 Spamassassin is now bouncing messages back to the spammers! I don't know, perhaps Spamassassin wasn't working before or something but I certainly wasn't seeing this. I now have emails sitting in the outbound queue until I either delete them or the system deletes them after, what is it, six days?

Talk about propagating the problem especially when this is precisely what the spammers want!

I have filters set up in CPanel to delete the spam so it doesn't get delivered to the local user but these bounce messages are still there.

Anyone have any suggestions or pointers to what I am missing in Spamassassin's config somewhere?

Thanks!

Not stable but there is a current build. 11.2.8 was released to current last week. Except for this Spamassassin bit I've seen no problems what so ever. Oh, there's no Apache 2 support yet either.

If it isn't stable, then it's not ready for production use, and even then I'd hold off a few months at least before installing it on anything important. You'd probably have better luck getting help on the cPanel forums with works in progress.

same problem here. In my case, when a client has an auto-responder setup for their email account, it replies to ALL emails -- even marked spam.

Mapenn,

The auto-responder is a known problem with CPanel. Luckily I don't have any users that use them heh replying to spam is just asking for trouble.

Rather than wait around for CPanel to address this (if they ever do) I jumped to ASSP.

Mapenn,

The auto-responder is a known problem with CPanel. Luckily I don't have any users that use them heh replying to spam is just asking for trouble.

Rather than wait around for CPanel to address this (if they ever do) I jumped to ASSP.

Never heard of ASSP -- could you give us a quick overview? Thanks!

Sure Mapenn,

It intercepts all traffic on the smtp port, scans it for spam and virii (ClamAV is required), then forwards it on to exim or blocks it. I'm using a version that a guy has modded and written a script so it plugs into WHM and CPanel. Either spam simply gets marked and delivered, deleted, or delivered to a domain spambox. All configuration is pretty easy although installation was a bit involved due to the CPanel/WHM integration. With the interface each filter can be enabled and disabled per domain or all the way across the board.

Only issues I have had so far is that the bayes filter catches EVERYthing. Or else my users subscribe to stuff that looks like spam all the time, one or the other. I also know that it will keep a huge amount of emails to build this database, I have cut the number it will keep in half and expect that it will still use too much disk space. Memory usage keeps creeping up. Only way I have found around this is to schedule a reboot. Overall memory usage is better than previous using Spamassassin. It is possible that after the bayes database stabilizes that the memory usage will too. Personally I have no problem scheduling a reboot for something that works well.

The straight version is available right off Sourceforge and the integrated version (for a very reasonable cost) is available from GRscripts.

Mods, if you feel this is advertising then please delete the post or whatever you wish as that was not my intent.