Spam stuck in mail queue

Bryan

Very Happy KH VPS User
Hey guys, quick question...

After moving to the new CA datacenter, I've noted that a lot of responses to spam are getting stuck in the mail queue, presumably because the spam address does not exit.

Our server is sending out:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

to the email that sent us the spam.

Our address obviously does exist, but spamassassin is using :fail: if the mail exists as spam.

Is there some logical way around this so that the queue doesn't have hundreds of stuck messages. Also, why would this now be happening on the new server but not on the old?

Thanks guys!

Bryan,

That would be one of the main reasons I stopped using SA.

Why on earth would you want to send a response to a spammer in the first place??

I was never able to figure it out, sorry.

Okay, after doing some research with some guys over on the cPanel forums, I have determined that the problem comes from using :fail:. Why? I haven't a clue. As soon as I switch to :blackhole: or "discard" everything works fine again.

I have no clue why :fail: for messages flagged as spam suddenly started trying to send a response to the original sender (spammer). If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear, because nobody over there does.

Bryan,

That would be one of the main reasons I stopped using SA.

Just curious what you're using as an alternative. I'd love to get away from SA, but haven't really found any other decent alternative that integrates well with cPanel.

Just curious what you're using as an alternative. I'd love to get away from SA, but haven't really found any other decent alternative that integrates well with cPanel.

I use ASSP Deluxe for cPanel. Have been using it for almost a year now and have am happy with the product. A word of warning, it uses Clamav which can be a memory hog so I have a cronjob to restart it every 6 hours. Originally I used the built-in version of Clamav from cPanel but due to slow updates I removed it and installed my own copy which has been working perfectly.