Software upgrade on all nodes

So your making a new node that will have Virtuozzo 3.0 Service Pack 1 on it already and then you will just move customers none by node to this new server while you upgrade each one to virutozzo 3.0 SP1 and then you will move us back?

Can you give us a timeline even approxomate of when each of these upgrades will happen? I'm on the vz05-tx and it would be great if i could know approx when my node will have the downtime...

I'm happy your upgrading :)

ppc

Thanks for your questions. You're partially correct - new node will be prepared, customers will be moved over to the new node (downtime between 30 seconds to 10 minutes) but then we will not move VPSs back - after VPS migration from 3.0 to 3.0sp1 is completed there will be no additional downtime.
Unfortunately it is very hard to provide even approximate timeline as time required for node preparation and migration varies - it might take anywhere between 1 day to 3-5 days to complete one cycle. Right now we're preparing one of the spare machines - it is running second series of pre-production stess tests and should be ready in next couple hours.

Regards,
Paul

Absolutely not, no files and/or any settings will be lost during the VPS migration process. From inside the VPS this will look like a simple system reboot, same as if you run "reboot" command from inside the VPS or click "Restart VPS" button in your VZPP.
This migration is a pretty stright forward process - VPS data will be just moved from one server to another within the same physical network, etc. As such no reconfiguration or anything like that will be required. This is one of the reasons why we love this technology ;)

Regards,
Paul

Hi, Will any Ip's change or DNS information for our VPS's at all?

Nope, all IPs and other network settings will remain unchanged. The only change you'll see is that your VPS will run on another physical server after migration will be completed.

Regards,
Paul

how can we find out wich day and what time the downtime on our server will be ?

So i let my clients know about this

thank you

I just posted approximate upgrades / migration schedule in the main thread

Regards,
Paul

Absolutely not, no files and/or any settings will be lost during the VPS migration process. From inside the VPS this will look like a simple system reboot, same as if you run "reboot" command from inside the VPS or click "Restart VPS" button in your VZPP.
This migration is a pretty stright forward process - VPS data will be just moved from one server to another within the same physical network, etc. As such no reconfiguration or anything like that will be required. This is one of the reasons why we love this technology

Regards,
Paul
Great, thanks for quick reply! :)

I had a look at the welcome email (login info) and at some pages of the virtuozzo panel, but still don't know on which server I am. Quite sure it should be in the virtuozzo panel, just not seeing it yet. Thanks for advice.

Unrelated question: is it possible to set the forum clock (individually) on 24h instead of am/pm ?

Thank you

@ pixels

I had the same question and paul helped me with the following...

"You can find this out by running the "tracert Ure IP" command in the Start -> Run -> cmd.exe window - the very last hop before your VPS will show name of your current physical node.

hope this helps...

@tones_ie
First I couldn't imagine what you are talking about. There is no start->Run in my Virtuozzo panel... Then I realized, you're giving me a windows tip, but I'm on Linux. So for the Linus users if any(!), open a root console and type: mtr yourdomainname and like tones_ie said, the last hop before your VPS will show it.

With VPS migration total downtime that you may experience
will be anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes (depending on amount
of dynamic data stored in the VPS) while any software errors during the
same system upgrade may result in hours of possible downtime;

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information.

I just wanted to clarify how much downtime we can expect during this upgrade on our VPS. In that quoted part of your information, are you refering to the upcoming VPS migration or future benefits?

What kind of downtime should we expect during this upgrade/migration?

Thanks.

-AniG

@tones_ie
First I couldn't imagine what you are talking about. There is no start->Run in my Virtuozzo panel... Then I realized, you're giving me a windows tip, but I'm on Linux. So for the Linus users if any(!), open a root console and type: mtr yourdomainname and like tones_ie said, the last hop before your VPS will show it.

Yea yre right... i was assuming you would ping/tracert the remote vps from ure windows home pc ...my bad :)

@knownhost...thanks for keeping the orig thread updated with the vps system u guys are on...helps a lot :)

VPS security settings, firewalls and mod-security

Hello,

Will this upgrade affect any of our current security settings like firewalls and custom modsecurity rule sets? Is this in anyway related to kernel upgrade?

Thank you

onelove,

From in-VPS point of view this will look like a simple VPS reboot. You should have no problems at all as long as your settings are saved in service configuration files and as long as services are scheduled to be started automatically

Regards,
Paul