Should I install mod_deflate?

actionmedia

I recently switched over to the SSD VPS-4 plan, and am very impressed with the performance. I'm trying to get the most I can out (speed wise), and am considering installing mod_deflate.

What are your thoughts on this, should I install it? Is there a lot of CPU overhead? My site runs a active forum (150 users on at any time), and we use Invision Power Board, so getting the fastest configuration is helpful.

Thanks...

@actionmedia

I would recommend installing mod_deflate. The CPU overhead associated with it isn't even noticeable.

If you're looking to further optimize your sites, run them through www.gtmetrix.com. It will prove to be a very valuable resource in speeding the load time as much as possible client-side.

Support just installed mod_deflate, and to me the site runs even faster now.

I ran a test using the site you suggested, and it said:
Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer size by 401.8KiB (71% reduction)

Do you know why it says to enable gzip when mod_deflate has been installed? Thanks...

I did some research online, and I found a site saying to modify the htaccess file, by adding this:

<ifModule mod_deflate.c>
<filesMatch "\.(js|css|html|php)$">
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
</filesMatch>
</ifModule>

I just added that code, and I think the site is even faster. :) What do you think? Is this correct?

I see you found the trick is setting the server to actually use mod_deflate for specific content.

Looks correct to me :)

Hi actionmedia,

seems to be correct - only text files like javascript, CSS and html code should be compressed.

Mark