Setting up DNS

Ole

Hello. In the welcoming email it has told me to add my own name servers to an existing domain at my registra.

I registered my domain name at bluehost.com. So what i did was unlock the domain, and then add the two nameservers i was provided. I'm not sure if it worked or not as they are still set to the same nameservers.

I was told i'd have to wait up to 48hours for it to change... but i was wondering if there is anyway to know if it is actually trying to change to those new name servers. Like some sort of status of the current domain name.

I setted up my account name servers in the control panel. I hope i did it right. I ran through the wizard and added the IP to the name servers and the A bit.(not sure what that was about).

Hope you can give me some info. Sorry i'm very new :) Thanks!

Hello Ole and welcome to KH :)

It sounds like you've gotten things set up correctly and now you just play the waiting game.

One thing you can do is a dig here. Leave the name server blank, enter the domain in question, change the drop box to Any and click Perform Query then it will do a dig on the domain name against their own DNS server which will tell you if it's propagated to them. DNS changes are a crap shoot as to how long it will take to propagate as some ISPs are very slow at updating their server and yet others take place in hours.

Hope that helps

I did that DIG thing and it says the domain name servers are still with bluehost.com :p Mind you, i updated them like an hour ago X)

Using Go Daddy, once I pointed my servers at the IP addresses supplied by KH, the change happened immediately, and we were able to proceed with setup.

Yeah, I think it really depends on the registrar. With Namecheap(at the time reselling for enom), when I would change nameservers the change took minutes to propagate.

Yeah I use namecheap and changes usually happen in minutes for me. When I had it with Yahoo, it took quite a while

Hey guys.

So my nameservers have updated :D Only... when i visit the domain it still takes me to my old host.

www.who.is

ichumon.com

it says that my new nameservers are up :X

I havn't uploaded any files to my new server (on knownhost) so it should just send me to the default index page right X)?

Hey guys.

So my nameservers have updated :D Only... when i visit the domain it still takes me to my old host.

www.who.is

ichumon.com

it says that my new nameservers are up :X

I havn't uploaded any files to my new server (on knownhost) so it should just send me to the default index page right X)?

If you do a check here: http://www.whatsmydns.net/ you can see the dns as it updates world wide. If you are still going to your old host I'd say that the dns has been cached on your system.

Without knowing what your OS is I'll assume Windows XP. Normally a reboot clears the DNS cache in Windows but you can also run ipconfig /flushdns in a cmd window too.

Most likely it is your ISP who is not updating their DNS though and all you can do there is wait.