Setting up a VPS - How Not to Do It

cogoguy

I'm in the process of setting up a vps package and I created a problem when I registered the account. The problem is, the account name and the host name, host.domain.com, are the same. So, all good, right? But, when I created an account to host the main website who's name is also domain.com, things got complicated.

After days of messing around with DNS names, I came to the conclusion that it would be easier, better and logical for the vps account to only manage customer account packages, including one to represent myacct.

As dumb luck would have it, I was able to buy a domain name this morning called domain1.com.

So, now that I've thoroughly embarrassed myself, my question is: Would it be better to restore the vps to it's initial state (it was new and shinny 6 days ago) or would simply deleting the DNS records and all packages I've created be the way to go? I really hate to create a ticket, but that would be better than having problems down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why you're having a problem with what you did. I did the same thing in Dec. (VPS newbie) and am having no issues.

I have my hosting account as mydomain.com. While I'm not reselling I do have three accounts - mydomain.com, subdomain.mydomain.com and otherdomain.com. Everything works flawlessly. (Yes, you read that correctly - I stuck a subdomain in a separate cPanel account).

I can get to WHM by putting appending :2086 to any of the domains. Same for the container and :4643.

I don't recall having to jump through any hoops, it just worked. I'd guess my experience is typical, otherwise they wouldn't require a domain when you register.

I'm in the process of setting up a vps package and I created a problem when I registered the account. The problem is, the account name and the host name, myacct, are the same. So, all good, right? But, when I created an account to host the main website who's name is also myacct, things got complicated.

After days of messing around with DNS names, I came to the conclusion that it would be easier, better and logical for the vps account to only manage customer account packages, including one to represent myacct.

As dumb luck would have it, I was able to buy a domain name this morning called myacct.com.

So, now that I've thoroughly embarrassed myself, my question is: Would it be better to restore the vps to it's initial state (it was new and shinny 6 days ago) or would simply deleting the DNS records and all packages I've created be the way to go? I really hate to create a ticket, but that would be better than having problems down the road.

This shouldn't have posed any issue. I'd recommend opening up a ticket so we can have a peek and help you get things running how you want.

There shouldn't be any need to restore/reprovision. Cleaning up a few DNS records is easy :)

Superb hosting and support from KnownHost, buy your VPS today!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why you're having a problem with what you did. I did the same thing in Dec. (VPS newbie) and am having no issues.

I have my hosting account as mydomain.com. While I'm not reselling I do have three accounts - mydomain.com, subdomain.mydomain.com and otherdomain.com. Everything works flawlessly. (Yes, you read that correctly - I stuck a subdomain in a separate cPanel account).

I can get to WHM by putting appending :2086 to any of the domains. Same for the container and :4643.

I don't recall having to jump through any hoops, it just worked. I'd guess my experience is typical, otherwise they wouldn't require a domain when you register.

What I was trying to do got weird because I don't want any subdomains hanging off my host account. The second domain name is going to do the trick because that domain will be a registered package, hosting a multi-page site for the brand name. If what I'm attempting to do works, my host account here will be only one of multiple accounts on different platforms.

Hello KnowHost,

Could you edit this thread and remove identifying information related to my account by calling it 'myacct' or 'xxx'? In my moment of frustration yesterday I forgot this is a public forum.

Thanks

Hello KnowHost,

Could you edit this thread and remove identifying information related to my account by calling it 'myacct' or 'xxx'? In my moment of frustration yesterday I forgot this is a public forum.

Thanks

Think I got them all for ya.

Hi Daniel, I hate to be a pain, but you missed one in the in the first post!

And, Thanks for doing this for me!

I just wanted to follow up with a final note about my wows.

Here's the compressed version:

A. I had customized my host zone record by changing the host name to something else. I also put my main site on another IP address, but that didn't cause any issues. In fact, I established an account in WHM and threw up a "Under Construction" page for that IP address, and it worked perfectly.

B. When I couldn't execute RVSkin manager because the zone record for the acct was no longer host.mydomain.com..zz., I changed the zone record for it, and when that didn't work, I made more changes ... which compounded the problem.

After inflecting enough pain on myself, I finally opened a support ticket.

Support got me back on the straight and narrow in just a few minutes. Problem solved!

I still have a minor issue, but it's not with Knownhost, it's with RV Global. I opened a ticket with them to get this straightened out so I can install the package. Once that's done, life will be good for the cogoguy!

I just wanted to follow up with a final note about my wows.

Here's the compressed version:

A. I had customized my host zone record by changing the host name to something else. I also put my main site on another IP address, but that didn't cause any issues. In fact, I established an account in WHM and threw up a "Under Construction" page for that IP address, and it worked perfectly.

B. When I couldn't execute RVSkin manager because the zone record for the acct was no longer host.mydomain.com..zz., I changed the zone record for it, and when that didn't work, I made more changes ... which compounded the problem.

After inflecting enough pain on myself, I finally opened a support ticket.

Support got me back on the straight and narrow in just a few minutes. Problem solved!

I still have a minor issue, but it's not with Knownhost, it's with RV Global. I opened a ticket with them to get this straightened out so I can install the package. Once that's done, life will be good for the cogoguy!

Glad we were able to help ya out, that's what we're here for ;)

As for RV...well....enough said.