Services Not Running

MadMax

I noticed this morning that my named, httpd, and syslog services are not running. I attempted a restart which failed. I am looking for some feedback as to what might be causing this.

Also, I noticed that there are Xineted services running in the VPS. Any suggestions.

Hi Dana,

What kind of control panel do you have installed and where/how do you see failed services?

I was recently attacked at home by a very nasty virus so I am trying as best as I can to understand the processes at play here....

I have C Panel X as far as I know. I am really concerned as when I went in today to make sure everything is OK and tighten security on emails, a whole bunch of scripts I did not ask for look like they updated. I fear the worst....I am very concerned......It looks like my VPS is now wide open to TCP, UDP, WEB, and SSH inputs and I have no logs to verify what is going on....

Dana,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I got what the problem is. Could you please provide a bit more details as to what is going wrong / what is wrong? If information is confidential it might be best to submit a support ticket.

Sorry....long week!!

Here is the issue. I went to my WHM to tighten security this morning. After that, I went to my VPS to check and see if all was well. I found the data to be strange.

In Container Services, We do not show any CPU usage, We do not show any memory usage, and I have no Xinetd Services. The Xinetd Services tab says my container may be misconfigured resulting in the problems.

Also in the System Services folder, HTTPD, SYSLOG, and NAMED are stopped and will not start succussfully.

I did attempt a backup, but that failed.

Now for the funny part.......

I have apparenty firewlled some critical processes resulting in this issue. Do you suggest any loose default settings other than keeping the Owner OUT of the VPS?

Dana,

Power Panel will always show these services as being down as cPanel wipes out default installation for these services and installs own copy with custom location / custom init scripts. This isn't something that you should worry about

Paul We are being redirected to a 3rd Party Site....I need someone from IT to assist.

THe backups are failing because of the Virus......Is there a number I can call?

I sent this email a few minutes ago. Why would it tell me it was sent at 5:30PM later today? My server time shows my current local time.

X-Ob-Received: from unknown (192.168.10.37) by 66.11.168.192.in-addr.arpa; 22 May 2009 17:35:00 -0000
Received: from as2-4.us4.outblaze.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by as2-4.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id AFCD0123008E for <"rlane:cyberdude.com"@mail.com>; Fri, 22 May 2009 17:34:55 +0000 (GMT)

Received: from host.blackvertmafia.com (host.blackvertmafia.com [67.222.8.53]) by spf9.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E5B4FBDC9A for <rlane@cyberdude.com>; Fri, 22 May 2009 17:34:49 +0000 (GMT)

I sent this email a few minutes ago. Why would it tell me it was sent at 5:30PM later today? My server time shows my current local time.

X-Ob-Received: from unknown (192.168.10.37) by 66.11.168.192.in-addr.arpa; 22 May 2009 17:35:00 -0000
Received: from as2-4.us4.outblaze.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by as2-4.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id AFCD0123008E for <"rlane:cyberdude.com"@mail.com>; Fri, 22 May 2009 17:34:55 +0000 (GMT)

Received: from host.blackvertmafia.com (host.blackvertmafia.com [67.222.8.53]) by spf9.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E5B4FBDC9A for <rlane@cyberdude.com>; Fri, 22 May 2009 17:34:49 +0000 (GMT)

bump. Hope everyone had a great holiday...

MadMax,

The part of the header you provided shows time in GMT. It is up to the specific system / mail server / server's admin preferences what timezone to use / show up in the message headers.

Thanks. It was set up fine in the past. Surprisingly during a DNS check today, I found some interesting data regarding my mail servers. I am forwarding that report to a friend of mine that does this stuff full time for the feds. I unfortunately do not understand the whole process and do not want to bug your support staff unnecessarily....