Server/Network Uptime?

Deize

Anyone here experienced any downtime on any VPS? We are thinking of availing VPS XL or XXL. Our site is a discussion forum with 2500+ active users per day so we cannot afford any downtime that will last for a couple of minutes. And does anyone know how many clients shared on a VPS XL box.

Anyone here experienced any downtime on any VPS? We are thinking of availing VPS XL or XXL. Our site is a discussion forum with 2500+ active users per day so we cannot afford any downtime that will last for a couple of minutes. And does anyone know how many clients shared on a VPS XL box.

Hi Deize,

You wont be disappointed with KH. I personally think they are the best webhost ever. Amazing uptime, amazing performance, amazing staff, what could be better. ;)

Sure there has been downtime(rare) but VERY minimal and they sure take of ya. All maintenance notifications are posted here in the forums giving you ample notice and 99% of the time such notifications result in ZERO downtime. Whenever their was an outage you can see that KH is VERY responsive. They dont hide under the covers they come right out and tell you up front in plain English what the problem is and how soon it will be rectified.

In regards to VPSes per node:

There are 5-25 VPS's per server depending on plan type and resource usage.
I will end with this as I have told people before. Try to find ONE bad review of knownhost - I rest my case ;)

Just curious, which forum do you run?

Regards,

Before I went off and got a real job (hehe), we had been running servers (dedicated and VPS) since 1996. In that time, I found one other host that is even comparable to Knownhost. The other guys were great and I hated to leave them, but their prices kept increasing due to the datacenter cost, and I just couldn't justify the prices anymore...sadly.

After a few years of jumping around to various hosts, and some really bad experiences, we found KH. I honestly don't think we'll be leaving here, unless we need another dedicated or two, and even then, we'll probably keep a VPS here.

The only downtime I experienced was a few minutes here and there due to packet loss/routing issues at the datacenter in CA. I don't think the server itself has ever been down. At one point, we had 180+ days straight of uptime, but had to restart the VPS after an update. Would have been fun to see how long she would have gone. :)

I don't use Support often, but when I do, Support is very fast and very good. Honestly can't find a single thing to complain about here.

Hi Deize,

I've been here for 2 months. I also have a VPS with another provider (at double the cost). I signed up here so I could have a backup VPS but as it turns out this one runs better than my 'main' server. I haven't had a minutes downtime in the time I've been here.

I run a monitoring program between my 2 servers, checking ftp / http / mail every 5 minutes and I've not had even a glitch since I started it.

I will say though, you are in effect asking for a 100 % uptime server for $40 a month - to assure yourself of 100% uptime you'd be looking at $thousands. If your budget is $thousands, go ahead and spend it, otherwise I'd say that $40 a month is a bargain.

In relation to support, I had high server loads a week ago, I searched for the culprit for 2 days to no avail. I logged a support ticket and "Alex" from support identified the runaway process within 10 minutes (which was a process that I had initiated and should have identified as being the cause).

I agree with PPC, go and look for a bad review because I certainly haven't found one.

Pete M