safe mode master value

rezag

I was thinking of asking via a ticket but I thought about posting.

I set safe mode off when creating domains via CP (I have Plesk), but when looking at phpinfo I notice that the master value is on. I know that local value off should work but am wondering if the master value on could somehow intefere or conflict.
The reason this came up is I am trying to use loadavg but the cron output has this (among other lines)
PHP Warning: file_get_contents(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 10001 is not allowed to access /proc/meminfo owned by uid 0 in /var/www/vhosts/XXXXX.com/httpdocs/loadavg/logger.php on line 88

It completely defeats the purpose if individual users are allowed to override the global safe_mode setting, so unless you're allowing everyone to use their own php.ini it's probably not going to work the way you want it to.

Thanx for the reply, understood :)
I guess this probably means that my problem running loadavg is not fully related to the safe mode error I posted above because there are others right here at KH using loadavg without any issues and as far as I know (I initially spoke via PM to pmcwebs who had posted the link to loadavg here) without changing any settings 'out of the box'.

Every control panel has a different set of "out of the box" settings for PHP (and then there are various options like running it as mod_php, running it as a CGI process, running it as a CGI process with suexec, running mod_suphp etc), so you really have to take a look at your specific configuration and see what needs to be done.

Yes true, I am trying to figure it out. Also wrote to loadavg's author, the script is not supported of course but worth a shot.

rezag,

With Plesk you can enable/diable safe_mode on per domain basis by checking/unchecking the safe_mode checkbox at Plesk CP -> Domains -> domain.com -> Setup. More information about this and other site hosting related option can be found in Plesk manual

I have when I set up the domains, I believe thats why the local value is off. I wondered about the master value, of course the script I was referring to shouldn't be using it or need it but nevertheless I was wondering about the master value.