Resource Usage - KH TOS question

LeMarque

Just curious - from the TOS:

• KnownHost Customers may not initiate the following (below), if any customer does KnownHost may terminate the account with no refund. Depending on the situation there will/won't be warnings sent.
  • a) Use 25% or more of system CPU resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
I've heard and vaguely understand that a script can "runaway" causing something like this. What causes a script to runaway, I don't know. But what kind of HTTP, FTP activities are we talking about here? I genuinley would like to know what will cause a cpu usage of more than 25%.

c) Run any type of interactive real-time chat applications that require server resources. Remotely-hosted services are fully allowed.

Errr, are we talking about stuff like Shoutbox or PhpLive?

d) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons (applies to shared/reseller hosting only).

Such as Cron? I thought Ruby scripts run as Daemons? What other Server side processes are we talking about?

Posted more for my education than any real concern I have; but I would like to know what to look out for.

Lance

would like to know what will cause a cpu usage of more than 25%.

I think its because cpu is not as sharable like memory is , and one script badly configured or any backdoor sending constent spam eats lots of CPU and it can then put down a whole box that you do not really want, such security measure looks good to me, I dunno any website program that need cpu usage for more than 90sec, or then you need a dedicated.

c) Run any type of interactive real-time chat applications that require server resources. Remotely-hosted services are fully allowed.

Errr, are we talking about stuff like Shoutbox or PhpLive?

I think it's much about app like Ventrilo, TeamSpeak etc stuffs that need a dedicated rather than VPS

d) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons (applies to shared/reseller hosting only).

Such as Cron? I thought Ruby scripts run as Daemons? What other Server side processes are we talking about?

That must be about IRC server, stuffs like that