Reseller vs VPS

Jeren

Time Lord
I've been considering moving up to a VPS, but I haven't found a thread explaining what I'm curious about. What kind of learning curve is there between a reseller and VPS account? I'm feeling quite comfortable with WHM and I've been using cPanel for years. What kind of changes and new options would I expect to have to know to manage a VPS?

If you don't know that you need root access for something in particular the odds are high that you probably don't need a VPS. If you just want to learn Linux server administration I'd recommend starting out on a local machine before messing with anything important that costs actual money.

Hello Jeren,

It depends on the experience that you've had. On reseller accounts that I had prior to this I had root access to my account so I was able to learn using it before moving up to a VPS. There wasn't much or any difference between them. But if you have not had any experience using SSH there will be a bit of a learning curve figuring out what you want to do and how to do it of course.

Determining whether you want a VPS or not I would base on resources and control. If you need/want more resources then you want a VPS. If you want control over what feels like your own box without the cost of your own box then you want a VPS.

Hope that helps!

If you don't know that you need root access for something in particular the odds are high that you probably don't need a VPS. If you just want to learn Linux server administration I'd recommend starting out on a local machine before messing with anything important that costs actual money.
Chances of me having a local machine to work on... slim. I know I don't have the time for it, and my dad has said for about two years that he's putting together a Linux machine. Yea... its not up yet.

It depends on the experience that you've had. On reseller accounts that I had prior to this I had root access to my account so I was able to learn using it before moving up to a VPS. There wasn't much or any difference between them. But if you have not had any experience using SSH there will be a bit of a learning curve figuring out what you want to do and how to do it of course.
I have some shell experience, mostly with regards to managing IRC servers. Compiling programs, navigating directories, running programs, thats the extent of my SSH experience.

It's definitely got a different feel than DOS, that I can tell for sure (*misses the pre-windows days*), but it doesn't seem that difficult to pick up and learn.
Determining whether you want a VPS or not I would base on resources and control. If you need/want more resources then you want a VPS. If you want control over what feels like your own box without the cost of your own box then you want a VPS.
What if its a little of both? ;)