ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedark1

with the price of memory falling sharply, it is currently very cheap to upgrade ram. the price of a 256 ddr1, is about 10$.

which leads me to ask, why do we have to pay 12.5$ per month for a 256 upgrade? doesn't make sense. of course the answer might be that the is a limit to the physical amount of ram that can be placed on a server, still that doesn't explain why its so expensive.

for 1 year, we pay 12x12.5 for a 256, which is 150$!!! that seems to me way over priced.

Thing is, Ive already upgraded my vps plan, and upgraded my ram, but my vps is still suffering from high memory usage and basically crashing intermittently.
Knownhost is at the higher end of the price scale as vps hosts go, and i simply can not afford to do any more upgrades at knownhost. It would be a real shame for me to switch to another host, as I like Knownhost and have been with them for a long time. They are professional, reliable and have brilliant (if sometimes reluctant) support. But as things stand, it's just too expensive at the moment.

Are there any plans to lower upgrade prices, or increase ram for current vpses?

sorry for being so whiny, but i just had to get that off my chest...thanks.

Hello,

Buying RAM a la carte is just a way to avoid being forced to upgrade your entire VPS plan and yes they are a little higher but it also saves money for many. We did upgrade our VPS plan's memory for all VPS L's and larger as an anniversary special in March 06. In general we want to help our customers but rolling out a mass downgrade of cost is much more complicated as it involves many things on the backend. I won't get into specifics but feel free to contact us to see if there is something we can do. I don't know what plan you have and your memory issue you mentioned but feel free to email sales@. There are definitely VPS's cheaper but there are just as many that are more costly. At the end of the day we can't suit everyone's needs but in terms of the entire "KH" package we are tough to beat.

Thanks,
Joel

Ok, thanks for your reply. It didn't really clear anything up, but at least you folks take the time to reply to your customers and try to help them out as much as possible.

But again, with the price of hardware falling so much in the last year, we'd all hoped to see bigger discounts on our hosting. Well you can't blame us, everyone's looking for a bargain!

BTW, what should I contact the sales department about? I really just can't say: Dear Sales, please give me a discount on my hosting as I'm broke...lol

Our hardware didn't get cheaper so you must be talking about the cheap entry level servers which can't be compared to our VPS's in most cases. We custom build our machines and don't use crappy IDE drives, etc. On a side note, our colocation prices have gone up to the increase of power costs which is very known in the marketplace. We didn't pass these costs to our customers as I am sure you wouldn't want so in reality everything is relative. If you need a cheaper provider that is your choice. We know we are the best out there and feel confident saying it. We also don't want to compete with budget providers so I am sure you may save a few bucks somewhere else. We can't satisfy everyone but we do try to let our uptime, service do the talking.

Anyone in sales can address your questions when you email them. Good luck.

Thanks,
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.