quite impressed - looking for points to compare

Steven Avery

Hi,

First, KnownHost has a fine rep around the web.
Kudos.

Right now I have a UK host for a vBulletin forum that in the short-long run I would like to bring over, and a local host that is too pricey, prices going up over 50mb that I can not use and may have to leave. I could not even install MediaWiki. So I need one solid host.

I am looking for a shared hosting, maybe soon have a Joomla and my own pages, about 3-5 domains over time. Something where I can have fun, learn and set up some real content (Bible version discussion is one main theme). Note: I am a mini-computer programmer in another world.

Reasonable price, but not necessarily el ultra-cheapo.

A forum like this one here is virtually a necessity (not for good operation, needed for fun and learning and sharing) -- which puts aside a good % of the possibilities.

Also a good rep for keeping up with and helping with tech on things like blogs Wordpress, Joomla, etc. Although I would try to install everything myself, with the possible exception of stuff like vBulletin.

One good potential host, Arvixe, I put aside because they had a page inviting adult content (actually inviting is over the top for my comfort zone). I did let them know, since they were clearly otherwise a good host possibility.

The personal touch from a medium size company is helpful, pretty much putting aside the Gators and the Monster type companies (even the ones with a good overall rep).

A couple of companies (e.g Rochen, Futurequest) look good, but at an extra premium, without any clear indication that they would do a better job for the extra money than KH for a small situation like my hosting needs.

So, surprisingly, with my specs, I am almost down to two, Known Hosting, and MDDHosting, with similar specs and cost, both with fine reps.

Can you tell me what differences I might look for, where you really shine, stuff like that ? I do not mind if you speak positively of your own skills, just be fair.

Right now, you are in the lead, and I want to decide before lunch!
Well, a late lunch.

All are welcome to comment!

Thanks.

Steven Avery
Queens, NY

Steven,

First off, welcome to the KnownHost forum and thanks for your interest in KnownHost!

MDD isn't someone that we're often compared to, so I'm not exactly up on my research of them. I have worked with Michael Denny (their owner) before and he's an intelligent guy, I'll give him that.

The place where we really shine - and our reviews will reflect it - is our support and performance. You will not find anything like it anywhere else. We take "fully managed" to a whole new level. If you want us to install vBulletin? No problem! This is where most hosts will come back with a generic "sorry, that's outside of our scope". We will literally "take a whack" at almost anything for you. We can't guarantee it all as obviously it's impossible to have experience with every single piece of software out there - but we're smart people that can generally figure things out even if we've never touched them.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision. Let me know if you have any questions :)

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick response. A "can-do" approach is, in fact, the key element. You hate to get paralyzed simply trying to put index.php into the right folder or something like that. You want two-ended support, the software source to try to figger out what you need to tweak, and the hosting support.

I'm just giving MDD a chance to strut their stuff, as well. To be fair, I am very impressed with pretty much everything I have read of both companies. Neither has phone support (does that occasionally change if there is a specific hand-holding need once in a blue moon .. shhh ?) .. MDD has no inclination to anything involving e.g. Windows .ASP. I don't anticipate going that route, but I will conjecture that you may not have that limitation? On the other hand, they give a bit more in space and domains, however at my level that is very minor, if I do enough to bump to the second or third level the $ is very, very reasonable. Support is the key.

btw, I do set up a localhost, so then I .. hopefully .. do all my basic work at home and know how to copy with FTP reducing everyone's burden. I guess that is standard? Maybe.

And I do want to mention how much a forum like this is appreciated. It shows an extra mile, a willingness to be "out there" and gives your users a nice interaction with your folks and with each other.

Once I had these requirements:

1) solid reputation for support and service
2) forum discussion place (preferably with good vBulletin or SMF-type software)
3) personable company size-wise
4) reasonable pricing for the little guy

It was amazing how the field whittled down, although it took a few hours to get a handle on the current situation. Granted, I may have bypassed a couple of good companies, but with your super-solid reputation, not an issue. Good chance I will be signed up by lunchtime.

Steven Avery
Queens, NY

Give us a shot, you wont regret it ;)

btw, I do set up a localhost, so then I .. hopefully .. do all my basic work at home and know how to copy with FTP reducing everyone's burden. I guess that is standard? Maybe.

This is pretty standard. I do my development work this way as well.

Hello Steven,

I also had to face a similar decision last week when I was looking for a new host after having a lot of problems with my own host.

I spent two days researching hosting companies and, eventually, i ended up at KH and I bought one of their VPS packages.

From day one my experience with KnownHost has been something I have never experienced in the past 8 years with any hosting companies i've been with. KH support is simply awesome.

Give KH a chance and you won't be sorry.

P.S - my post hasn't been influenced by anyone. As you can see I registered on the forum a few days ago and this is actually my first post.

Hello Steven,

I also had to face a similar decision last week when I was looking for a new host after having a lot of problems with my own host.

I spent two days researching hosting companies and, eventually, i ended up at KH and I bought one of their VPS packages.

From day one my experience with KnownHost has been something I have never experienced in the past 8 years with any hosting companies i've been with. KH support is simply awesome.

P.S - my post hasn't been influenced by anyone. As you can see I registered on the forum a few days ago and this is actually my first post.

Glad to hear things are going well for you :)

Let us know if you ever need anything.

are you ready to rumble?

Hi,

Yes, I agree, the enthusiastic pizazz is nice to see. I registered last night, just a one-month paypal thing, however I have not afaik not received anything yet. (The website name that went with it is 1j57.com, currently parked at namecheap). They said it might take 24 hours or so ? I'm ready to roll.

Steven

Hi,

Yes, I agree, the enthusiastic pizazz is nice to see. I registered last night, just a one-month paypal thing, however I have not afaik not received anything yet. (The website name that went with it is 1j57.com, currently parked at namecheap). They said it might take 24 hours or so ? I'm ready to roll.

Steven

Steven,

I just verified with our billing department that your order hasn't been paid for, and they sent you an email this morning letting you know we still haven't received payment.

Provisioning is very quick after payment, so just let me know.

Hi,

Steven, I just verified with our billing department that your order hasn't been paid for, and they sent you an email this morning letting you know we still haven't received payment. Provisioning is very quick after payment, so just let me know.
So far, I do not see an email, and usually that works fine.

Usually when I pay something with PayPal it takes me right in with the name of the payee, that did not happen. Plus I saw something about paying on 3/25/2013 with slightly vague wording, after I chose the Paypal route. If it helps I will revert back to credit card. Ok, I will send an email out to billing.

Steven

Hello Steven,

[Broken External Image]:http://www.1-imageshack.us/images/images/45.gif

100% agree I have had 0 downtime. Very happy with KH.

The place where we really shine - and our reviews will reflect it - is our support and performance. You will not find anything like it anywhere else. We take "fully managed" to a whole new level. If you want us to install vBulletin? No problem! This is where most hosts will come back with a generic "sorry, that's outside of our scope". We will literally "take a whack" at almost anything for you. We can't guarantee it all as obviously it's impossible to have experience with every single piece of software out there - but we're smart people that can generally figure things out even if we've never touched them.

This is why I just signed up.

Although I do hope you don't charge to install certain things.
Like I'm going to need memcached very bad, having some people who are knowledgeable about installing it (its pretty common nowadays anyway)...probably saved me about 10 hours of work.