Questions from a new client

Jakub

Hi, recently I decided to move from several cheap shared hosting accounts to you.

I must say that so far I'm happy with the decision and plan to stay with you.

Anyway, at the time I purchased a VPS and few days later I noticed new Cloud Reseller hosting option which could be actually better choice for me - so I bought it as well to test it out and see the differences.

Now deciding which one to keep so would like to clear some stuff

1) What is the advantage of having 2 dedicated IP addresses? I thought I would choose which sites are on IP1 and which on IP2 (which would kind of "separate" the accounts) but that is not the case.

2) Why is the VPS so memory hungry?

VPS: 1300 average daily pageviews across 4 websites = average 1.6GB memory usage, CPU I don't know
Cloud: 1300 average daily pageviews across 3 websites = average 200MB memory usage, CPU under 10%

What explains the 800% difference in memory usage? The sites are just content WordPress sites - I was shocked by using 1.6GB with the first batch considering I was using very little resources even on cheap shared hosting.

3) comparing VPS vs Cloud... is there performance difference? I mean server response time / loading times?

Thanks

1) What is the advantage of having 2 dedicated IP addresses? I thought I would choose which sites are on IP1 and which on IP2 (which would kind of "separate" the accounts) but that is not the case.

It's not necessarily an advantage. You're making an apples to oranges comparison here. A VPS must have at least one dedicated IP to function since it is its own system. We choose to deploy with two because many people want separate IPs for each nameservers. On a reseller package the IPs already in use for nameservers can be re-used for your nameservers thus they don't have to be dedicated.

2) Why is the VPS so memory hungry?

VPS: 1300 average daily pageviews across 4 websites = average 1.6GB memory usage, CPU I don't know
Cloud: 1300 average daily pageviews across 3 websites = average 200MB memory usage, CPU under 10%

What explains the 800% difference in memory usage? The sites are just content WordPress sites - I was shocked by using 1.6GB with the first batch considering I was using very little resources even on cheap shared hosting.

Assuming you're comparing stats from https://my.knownhost.com - on VPS plans the memory stats include cached memory which can be considered free. This skews the data.
For cloud plans you get an accurate representation of real memory used (not including cached memory).

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ does a pretty good job of explaining this "phenomena".

3) comparing VPS vs Cloud... is there performance difference? I mean server response time / loading times?

That greatly depends on your site and many many other factors. Cloud servers do have slightly faster CPUs and a much different storage architecture. It as a platform is also more fault-tolerant and faster to recover from hardware failure versus traditional VPS.

4) how do I change my public forum name here? Can't find it in settings

PM me what you'd like for it to be :)

Want a new virtual private server? Buy a VPS from KnownHost and get the best uptime in the industry.

We choose to deploy with two because many people want separate IPs for each nameservers.

As far as I know even though there are two nameservers, they're located on the exact same server (no redundancy). What would therefore be the advantage of having separate IPs for each nameservers ?

As far as I know even though there are two nameservers, they're located on the exact same server (no redundancy). What would therefore be the advantage of having separate IPs for each nameservers ?

It's an old nameserver compliance thing. Years ago, some registrars would not let you assign two name servers from the same domain to the same IP. Now a-days they really don't care but you still run across a few foreign registrars that enforce it.