Questions about VPS Account

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I am a web developer who has been using a reseller account with a different company to host client accounts. Recent problems have prompted me to look for a better solution than a reseller account on a shared server for some of my clients. I'm very interested in Knowhost, but I have a few questions before I sign up. I'm new to VPS, so please excuse me if my questions seem elementary.

Would I have my own mail server with VPS account?...In other words, I don't want to share it with anyone else. The reason I ask is that with the reseller account I have now the shared mail server has been abused by others and keeps getting blacklisted. This has become a real problem for my clients that depend on their email.

Is the $5.00 a month fee for each client cpanel or is this a server wide license that covers all instances of cpanel running your VPS?

Same for Fantastico...Is it $1/mo server wide or $1/mo for each instance of Fantastico.

Are any webmail scripts set up by default. If so which one(s). If not, how difficult is it to set up Round Cube? (I do have experience setting up many Perl and Php scripts.)

I currently have one client using MailMan for a small mailing list (about 12 people). How difficult would it be to transfer this account? Is Mailman set up by default or is this something I would have to install?

Can I have personal nameservers?

Is Perl installed? If not, how difficult is it to install with standard modules?

What version of PHP is installed by default? Can this be run using PHPSuEXEC? Is it possible to run both php4 and php5?

Do most people choose Client Exec or WHMCS? I'm currently using AutoPilot, and I it's not the greatest. Need some opinions about which billing system you prefer and why.

Is Zend and/or Ioncube intalled by default? A few scripts I use require these.

Looking forward to making the move soon!
Thanks,
Chris

Hello Chris,

See inline as I have answered your questions. Hope to see you signup. FYI, we had a promotion end on the 15th but if you want to take advantage of it today feel free to use it. The coupon is KHsummer which is for any VPS monthly subscription and it gets you 50% off month 1 and 2 along with 10% off life starting month 3.

Would I have my own mail server with VPS account?...In other words, I don't want to share it with anyone else. The reason I ask is that with the reseller account I have now the shared mail server has been abused by others and keeps getting blacklisted. This has become a real problem for my clients that depend on their email.

--Yes, with a VPS you have full root access just like a dedicated server. With this you have your own mail server unique IP's, your own FTP, along with your own cPanel/WHM license. Nobody shares this with you.

Is the $5.00 a month fee for each client cpanel or is this a server wide license that covers all instances of cpanel running your VPS?

--This is server wide so all customers can use this.

Same for Fantastico...Is it $1/mo server wide or $1/mo for each instance of Fantastico.

--Server wide as well.

Are any webmail scripts set up by default. If so which one(s). If not, how difficult is it to set up Round Cube? (I do have experience setting up many Perl and Php scripts.)

--Horde and Squirrelmail are used a lot but many use other webmail clients with cPanel. We can help if you ask but in most cases out of the box it works well for clients.

I currently have one client using MailMan for a small mailing list (about 12 people). How difficult would it be to transfer this account? Is Mailman set up by default or is this something I would have to install?

--Installed by default by us.

Can I have personal nameservers?

--Yes, with VPS you get to use your own custom nameservers.

Is Perl installed? If not, how difficult is it to install with standard modules?

--Just make a note while ordering in the comments section to make sure this is installed. We will take care of this.

What version of PHP is installed by default? Can this be run using PHPSuEXEC? Is it possible to run both php4 and php5?

--With cPanel you can use PHP 4 or PHP 5. By default 4x but 5x can easily be upgraded with no problem.

Do most people choose Client Exec or WHMCS? I'm currently using AutoPilot, and I it's not the greatest. Need some opinions about which billing system you prefer and why.

--WHMCS seems to be getting more and more popular. It is very light and easy to use and comes with a Trouble Ticketing system which we hear isn't too bad either. I would say most select WHMCS now a days.

Is Zend and/or Ioncube intalled by default? A few scripts I use require these.

--Make a note in the order comments and we will install either of these for you. By default they aren't installed but we can if you ask for it.

Regards,
Joel

Thanks Joel! Sounds like Knowhost is exactly what I need. I'll be signing up shortly.

Make note VPS builds are from 9am EST - 11pm EST 7 days a week. So any order after 11pm EST the VPS won't be setup until the following morning.

Joel

Make note VPS builds are from 9am EST - 11pm EST 7 days a week. So any order after 11pm EST the VPS won't be setup until the following morning.

Joel

That's cool; some other host said it could take up to 72 hours! I didn't get my order in by 11pm EST...had to get in touch with my business partner first. I'm not in a huge rush...just looking forward to having a reliable host at last!
Thanks for answering my questions and giving me a heads up on the coupon discount code.
Chris

coupon KHsummer

Hi Joel,
Can I use coupon KHsummer on Today?
Regards,
TonyLe

TonyLe,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. We do have a coupon code you can use for monthly payments, KH2MONTHS, which will give you 50% off your first two months. Hope to see you sign up!

Thanks,
Joel

Besides what comes with cPanel's fantastico we do not offer any sitebuilder applications at the moment.

Thanks,
Joel

Thanks for your quick reply.
I've order a VPS with you.
Tonyle

Tonyle,

Thank you for the order and welcome to KnownHost. We look forward to doing business with you.

Thanks,
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.