Questions about shared hosting

tinat

I'm looking for new shared hosting for my site. We currently use about 1.5gb space, 15-20gb monthly bandwidth. It's a mambo site with an SMF forum. Medium sized, cca 1000 members. I guess that could fit into the Web Macro plan, however it's kinda narrow, the site may grow, and I like to have extra space to make backups. So my first question is, would it be ok to purchase the KH Pro plan, and just use it as a simple hosting for a single website? I've no intention to resell webspace.

Furthermore, I have questions about your general services and limitations.

What are limitations per account, such as
- file count limits
- cpu
- concurrent database connections
- emails sent per hour
- php upload limit
- php session time

any other?

And finally, do you transfer sites for your new clients? If not, would it be an option for me to ftp the complete home directory backup directly to your server from my current account cPanel, (once the hosting is purchased of course), for you to restore it?

Thanks!

tinat,

Thank you for your interest in KnownHost. Please see my comments in line:

would it be ok to purchase the KH Pro plan, and just use it as a simple hosting for a single website?
--This is not a problem at all.

What are limitations per account, such as
- file count limits
--At this time this is not limited on a per account basis.

- cpu
--Per our TOS, "Use 25% or more of system CPU resources for longer then 90 seconds."

- concurrent database connections
--At this time this is not limited on a per account basis.

- emails sent per hour
--We do not allow mailing lists on any of our shared/reseller hosting plans.

- php upload limit
--32 M

- php session time
--session.cookie_lifetime = 0 (unlimited)

We do provide migration assistance as long as the control panels match on both systems.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Joel

hey Joel, thanks for your reply.

I just want to clarify something

We don't really use proper mailing lists, but what we sometimes do is we send a group email to all forum members, through the forum (using phpmail). Would that not be permitted either?

I would recommend a VPS for this. We don't allow any sort of mass emailing via a mailing list, PHP script, etc. With a VPS you get your own mail server which eliminates any risk for other users which is why we recommend that.

Joel

Exactly I just sent about 2000 mails to my forum users. I use vps.

I hate spam but I needed to tell them the recent announcment which was important

Kknownhost is a good and reliable company.
I recommend it to you and listen to their advice.

Welcome to our community

Hmm... well, ok I guess, your smallest VPS package isn't that expensive. But I've never used VPS hosting before, don't know much about it.

Can we still transfer the whole account at once through cPanel, if we take VPS?

Can we still transfer the whole account at once through cPanel, if we take VPS?

As long as the control panels are the same...such as CPanel --> Cpanel.

I learned a tremendous amount from KH support. Even if you are a newbie with servers, linux etc. with some patience you will learn quite quickly...

If you ever need any help, you can always PM me ;)

We include migration assistance with VPS purchases as long as your using the same control panel like ppc said. Hope to see you signup.

Thanks,
Joel

- emails sent per hour

No mailing lists are allowed on shared/reseller accounts? I missed that in the TOS - I had read it that there needed to be opt in and opt out for subscribers. I don't have a mailing list nor had I planned to have one but since I missed the so completely I wondered if you could point out where it is so I re-read it to make sure I haven't missed anything else.

And what about Fantastico in cPanel? phplist is listed there - is there a way to get it off of there so a client can't install it using that?

Thanks

Not sure on the part on phplist. Our support team can address that one for sure. Regarding the part of the TOS it states mailing lists aren't allowed, it seems it isn't there.. I know we prohibit it but seems it isn't listed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Joel

Perhaps its certain kinds of mailing lists that are not allowed?

What about people signing up for a newsletter? Or subscribers to a forum on a message board? Do those count as mailing lists?

All depends. I did take the TOS/AUP up with Management and we do list it. We say all mailing lists need approved. By default, shared and reseller we will reject. As for newsletters, if this is engined thru some mail list software then we wouldn't allow it. Kinda grey but anyone trying to do something "grey" should get a VPS from our perspective.

Thanks,
Joel

Do you mean mail list software like phplist, that's included in fantastico?

Or for resellers - how would we contact our customers to advise them of any network problems ( like the recent tx thing ) or any scheduled downtime for maintenance that may come up?

Any mailing lists we don't allow on shared/reseller systems. Your sharing a mail server with others and if any free email system like Yahoo gets reports it is SPAM even if not this affects other customers. We feel a VPS is the best way to go if hosted with KH.

Jay