privvmpages

Jleagle

Looking at the QoS Alerts in Virtuozzo, ive recently been seeing that privvmpages is going into the black zone on a daily basis at similar times of the day.

I asked support and they said its usually because:
a) some additional applications were installed and are running inside the VPS (or start from time to time);
b) more domains were moved to the VPS and these domains started to receive additional web / mail / whatever traffic which didn't exists before;
c) existing domains started to get more mail, web, etc traffic and as such started to consume more resources.
But i have have not installed anything onto the server or added any domains.. I only have 4 accounts on cPanel so i checked the mailbox of each one and they are all empty.

Could mail be going somewhere else? My site doesn't receive too much mail so it would have to be an attack if it was due to spam etc.. or are there reasons i could be getting this problem?

Thanks.

If it happens at the same time of day then make sure you've got top running before it hits and see what happens.

when automatic updates and backup run (most likely late at night) you will see a significant increase in usage, but both of these should still be below their limits. if you think this is the cause, put in a support ticket and they will have a look at it since that is not normal

This morning when i came to my site none of my sites could connect to mysql even though WHM was saying mysql was up.

I dont think its an automatic update because the time (although similar) is different every time.. Every night the time that it goes into the black zone increases by around 10 minutes. eg:

Monday: 12.20-12.40am
Tuesday: 12.30-12.50am
Wednesday: 12.40-1.00am
Thursday: 12.50-1.10am

Ill try to run the top command and see whats going on but its difficult because im not on my pc that time very oftern.

What time do your backups and stats run? Do you have the slocate database set to update automatically? Are you passing out free phpBB accounts on this same server?

I dont run my own backups.. i only use the KH ones. They used to run every other day but i just checked my virtuozzo backups page and its telling me "No backups created yet". This seems very wrong.

Whats a slocate database?

Yes i am giving out free phpBBs on the same server.

Thanks.

I dont run my own backups.. i only use the KH ones.

Those are still your backups running on your server consuming your resources.

Yes i am giving out free phpBBs on the same server.

That's probably your problem. How do you police your users and how many cron.php's do suppose you have firing off all at once at this point? phpBB is not particularly well known for efficiency or resource friendliness.

Well, i have under 15k page views a day, the server must be able to handle that? I am only on a small plan though...

To my surprise the server had not been automatically backing up like i thought it was. I don't know how long it hasn't been working but it rules out backups as a problem.

phpBB's efficiency issue also wouldn't explain why it happens at similar times for only 20-30 minutes at a time.

Thanks.

OK, so i sat up all night checking putty every now and then with the top list open.

I hope this is the end of my problem and its not going to start happening once i go to bed. The only thing different about tonight is that i installed (D)DoS Deflate. Could this make a difference?

Memory-wise, nothing strange happened. But i did realise Spamd is at the top of the list all the time (all day). Should this be so high up in the list? If not, does this mean im constantly recieving tonnes of spam?

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9728/screenhunter04oct210058yn2.th.jpg[/URL]

Thanks.

Spamd is SpamAssassin. It's always near the top of the list, because it's an awful memory hog.

Those are still your backups running on your server consuming your resources.

Virtuozzo's backups are not run within your VPS. It is ran on the node, not within an individual VPS; which means that it does affect the load on the entire node however would not consume any resources within your VPS.

Virtuozzo's backups are not run within your VPS. It is ran on the node, not within an individual VPS; which means that it does affect the load on the entire node however would not consume any resources within your VPS.

An important clarification to be sure, but I don't think I said it was running within an individual VPS. He seemed to be under the impression that the fact that he wasn't personally causing the backups to take place that nothing else on the box could possibly be affected, which is not really the case.

Great, litrally just after i posted here and went to bed the server went into the lack lol.. looks like im gonna have to wait up again.

you should put in a support ticket to find out what's going on, they should be able to tell you based on the vps logs

Ive made two tickets about this. One guy said to look at "ps auwwwfx" when it happens and the other said make my own script to log server stats. Ill ask them again to check the server logs...

EDIT: Here is what they replied with:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] "Unfortunately it is close to impossible to find out what might have caused memory usage after the fact. The only good way to find this out is to run the "ps auwwwfx" command at the time when resource usage is high and analyze command's output."[/FONT]