PreSales questions

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have a few sites, currently hosted on Dreamhost PS, which has been down for over 13 hours now and I think I might go ahead and move somewhere else cause this repeated downtime is just getting out of hand.

I have a few questions.

1) Because my most resource intensive site is a webmaster forum, would you be able to kindly tell me if this forum is hosted on a vps? I was thinking about your LX plan I think it's the 320 Megs or 380 Meg plan.

2) Do u offer moving sites from an older provider?

3) I've just barely used CPanel or WHM, cause dreamhost has their own panel and to run backend scripts, I just ssh into the machine. Is there a way that you can make whatever panel I get from you, secure, so I don't access my panel over normal http preventing my password from being spoofed.

4) Can u install an openssl certificate for one of my sites, cause I've got my own programmed backend software I log into over a secure connection.

5) How are your sendmail IP's, we never send out spam but we do send out confirmation emails both on my forums and other sites, which I like the recipients to receive.

6) Do we get a mysql query count and/or connection count to see how many queries we ran a month, so I can optimize my code where needed.

7) Do u have the Zend Optimizer to run encoded code?

8) Can we change the mysql ft_minword I dont' remember the exact variable name, but the variable to set the full text search min word variable to 2? Also can we get rid of the stop word file.

9) Can we run php as a cgi, i keep all my files with 600 permissions on them since php runs as the same user as me.

Sorry for the long list of questions, but I don't like to go changing hosts, because of the trouble of moving and then configuring them in a new environment.

The following are my mysql usages on 2 of my sites, do u think your LX plan will work? On dreamhost my usage would usually stay at around 190 Megs, and would go to around 240 Megs at some times.

Totals: 31.513 MB 80209 1086630 3.092 MCn 0.542
Totals: 154.922 MB 86532 205698 2.369 MCn 0.095

Thx in advance

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Please see below as I have answered your questions. Anything else we can for you let us know.

1) Because my most resource intensive site is a webmaster forum, would you be able to kindly tell me if this forum is hosted on a vps? I was thinking about your LX plan I think it's the 320 Megs or 380 Meg plan.

--Yes, this forum is in a VPS. It is equivalent to the VPS Ltx plan. We don't use a control panel so that needs considered.

2) Do u offer moving sites from an older provider?

--If the control panel matches, yes we can take care of it. Since you don't use cPanel this wouldn't be something we can do but our forum is quite useful and I am sure you can see others online who have made this move before.

3) I've just barely used CPanel or WHM, cause dreamhost has their own panel and to run backend scripts, I just ssh into the machine. Is there a way that you can make whatever panel I get from you, secure, so I don't access my panel over normal http preventing my password from being spoofed.

--The control panel connects thru port 2086 as a https://

4) Can u install an openssl certificate for one of my sites, cause I've got my own programmed backend software I log into over a secure connection.

--We can apply SSL's if you send it to us. We do this for all of our customers upon request.

5) How are your sendmail IP's, we never send out spam but we do send out confirmation emails both on my forums and other sites, which I like the recipients to receive.

--cPanel doesn't use Sendmail. It uses Exim and with a VPS (full root access) you get your own mail server.

6) Do we get a mysql query count and/or connection count to see how many queries we ran a month, so I can optimize my code where needed.

--No limits with a VPS. You have full root access and can configure things as you please.

7) Do u have the Zend Optimizer to run encoded code?

--We can install Zend Optimizer upon request.

8) Can we change the mysql ft_minword I dont' remember the exact variable name, but the variable to set the full text search min word variable to 2? Also can we get rid of the stop word file.

--You have full root access so you can configure things as you please. The main thing to make sure of is that whatever you do won't break cPanel though.

9) Can we run php as a cgi, i keep all my files with 600 permissions on them since php runs as the same user as me.

--Sure

Thanks,
Joel
https://www.knownhost.com
Let KnownHost take the hassle out of buying a VPS.

Thx Joel for your reply,

Ok, so in other words CPanel or any other panel is not really required, but can act as a visual interface to help those not comfortable with directly accessing the shell. Is that correct?

Also are there any pre-configured php.ini, httd.conf, myslq.ini, etc, etc files available somewhere which users can just copy and paste?

I'm also sending you a PM

Regards
Adnan

Adnan,

Yes, cPanel is just a GUI allowing users to do things much easier without using shell. Also, without cPanel you need to configure all your applications my yourself as all we would do is install standard items like Apache, PHP, and MySQL. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Joel