Pointing domain hosted at another provider to my VPS on KH

Breen

Hey guys, I have the domain I signed up with here hosted on another site and plan on keeping it there until the term runs out.

What is the easiest way to get everything pointed over this way? I have my ns1 & ns2.somehost.com configured here.

Can I just use the Advanced DNS Zone Editor on the other shared host that has my domain and make new entries for ns1 & ns2 using the KH IP and then just manage the domain and point the nameservers to said hosts?

The EASIEST way to manage DNS is to use the ns1 and ns2 that your host has provided. For example, if you want to continue hosting your site on your old host's servers, use their nameservers. When you're ready to have your site hosted on KH's servers, then use their nameservers.

If you point the domain to one host, but then modify the Advanced DNS Editor to point it another, you're only adding an opportunity for something to go wrong.

The EASIEST way to manage DNS is to use the ns1 and ns2 that your host has provided. For example, if you want to continue hosting your site on your old host's servers, use their nameservers. When you're ready to have your site hosted on KH's servers, then use their nameservers.

If you point the domain to one host, but then modify the Advanced DNS Editor to point it another, you're only adding an opportunity for something to go wrong.

The only nameservers I have for KH are ns1 & n2.myhostname.com

I can't point my old host to those ones as they're hosting my domain and know nothing about them. Does KH have generic 'hosting company' nameservers to use? In a VPS situation I didn't think that was possible and you handled your own nameservers.

Oh I reread your reply you're saying use OLD COMPANY nameservers here on KH to point to the DNS rather then using the local BIND correct?

I should have noted the old site is on a shared idiotic HG plan which doesn't let me specify 'private nameservers' in their domain management tools for shared plans so I can't use ns1.myhost.com as a valid nameserver to point to.

That only leaves me with using some 'generic company' nameserver like NS12345.hostgator.com or dick around with the Advanced DNS Zone Editor on the HG account to change all the IPs to the KH VPS IP which I think would work?

I can't recall if KH provides default nameservers or not, but, if you're going to use ns1.yourhostname.com and ns2..., then just set those up.

Go to your domain's registrar (where you registered your domain) and edit the Host Name section (This is what GoDaddy uses, for example. Your registrar might call it something a little different.) There you will add the two IP addresses that KnownHost has provided you.

Once those are set up, go to your domain's nameservers and change then to your new ns1.yourhostname.com and ns2. Allow a few hours for this to propagate and your domain will then be pointing to your new KnowHost server.

Is it the domain itself that you want to leave until the term runs out, or the old hosting account?