Plesk 11.5 to latest cPanel

Hello everyone,
i have been, for a while now, seriously considering a transition to cPanel from Plesk (i'm currently on 11.5, on top of CentOS 6.7)...
Mostly, i'm frustrated with the PHP and MySQL versions available under Plesk/CentOS; i know that you can use the Atomic or Remi repos to upgrade PHP and MySQL (which i've had to do), but that does not reassure me, as i've run into minor issues doing this, and i need stability above all..
I've noticed on the cPanel demo page that it comes with CentOS 7.x and PHP up to 5.6
Also, and oddly, my version of CentOS is i686 rather than x86_64
Would it be possible to confirm the versions of cPanel/WHM, CentOS, PHP available to us here?
Also, has anyone transitioned from Plesk to cPanel? i don't expect a fully-automated transition, but are basic domain/email configurations and client email accounts properly transitioned? (i'm using Postfix, and i gather Dovecot is the better platform)..

i know that's a lot of questions, but i can't afford to lose client data, nor can i keep them to long offline...

Any info will help!
Thank you for everything!
Peter

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
i have been, for a while now, seriously considering a transition to cPanel from Plesk (i'm currently on 11.5, on top of CentOS 6.7)...
Mostly, i'm frustrated with the PHP and MySQL versions available under Plesk/CentOS; i know that you can use the Atomic or Remi repos to upgrade PHP and MySQL, but that does not reassure me..
I've noticed on the cPanel demo page that it comes with CentOS 7.x and PHP up to 5.6
Also, and oddly, my version of CentOS is i686 rather than x86_64
Would it be possible to confirm the versions of cPanel/WHM, CentOS, PHP available to us here?
Also, has anyone transitioned from Plesk to cPanel? i don't expect a fully-automated transition, but are basic domain/email configurations and client email accounts properly transitioned (i'm using Postfix, and i gather Dovecot is the better platform)..

i know that's a lot of questions, but i can't afford to lose client data, nor can i keep them to long offline...

Any info will help!
Thank you for everything!
Peter

I'd highly advise swapping over to cPanel. It indeed supports up to 5.6 right now and is much less tied to system-based versions of PHP like Plesk.

i686 = x86 which is 32-bit. We're deploying all new VPSs with CentOS 7.x and 64-bit (x86_64).

The Plesk to cPanel migration path is pretty straight forward and depending on the number of accounts you have could take as little as a few hours. Dovecot/Exim are much better than Postfix or Qmail :)

All domains, databases, email, gets converted over. The only thing I think that gets lost is visitor data that'd be in something like Awstats or Webalizer.

Hello @petersconsult,

Just did a Plesk to WHM/cPanel migration in the last week. Took a bit more time that first thought (even scheduled beforehand). For the most part it went ok but not without issues. Most of the stuff migrated but some systems did not start working right away but got them going with the help of KH staff. Still tweaking stuff and looking at the system overall.

Johnathan is correct the visitors log is an issue. Weird one as some transferred and others did not. Weird. You may have to adjust usernames on the WHM/cPanel system. Some of the hosting plans did not migrate either. Had to manually change those. Things seem to slowly going to normal.

It was a tough decision as the Plesk interface is IMHO far superior to the WHM/cPanel one. Hopefully this will improve as time goes forward. However, the underlying system may be better that Plesk.

My observation is also that WHM/cPanel runs heavier on Memory Usage. We were seeing ~48 to 51 % on the Plesk system on the WHM/cPanel this is ~ 71 to 86% so ~20% more.

Thus far we are living with it.

The Plesk to cPanel migration path is pretty straight forward and depending on the number of accounts you have could take as little as a few hours. Dovecot/Exim are much better than Postfix or Qm

Do you mean email accounts or what is called 'subscriptions' under Plesk..
Basically, my server maintains about a baker's dozen websites (subscriptions), and about 30 or so email accounts..
When you say 'as little as a few hours', does that include the time to migrate the data, or is that post-migration, setting things up?

i'm a little scared about the email account migration from Postfix to Dovecot, but i just need to read up on it..
The one thing i cannot afford to do is to loose email account contents...
Also, i have a custom configuration of Postfix that allows me to use individual security certificates for proper IMAP and SMTP connections over SSL... i just need to figure out how to reproduce that on Dovecot (fyi, here's how i did it on Postfix)

Memory usage should not be an issue; the sites i run are very low volume / low complexity, and i have a VPS-6 subscription, so, should be ok...

Thank you for all your help!

Sorry for reviving an old thread..
Would it be possible to confirm wether Dovecot is used rather than Postfix on new VPS-6 packages?
i'm sort of getting lost in my research...

EDIT: i think i'm getting totally lost, Dovecot replaces courier-imap not Postfix, correct?