Ping times from Australia - and what does it really mean

U

Unregistered

Can anyone explain if the following difference in ping times from Sydney Australia makes any real difference:
Texas - 203 ms
California - 196 ms

I guess Califoornia being closer makes the difference - maybe?? So based on this what would be yor recommendation for my new VPS plan that I am about to sign-up for. Or should I be doing the tests at various times throughout the day and week to verify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Can anyone explain if the following difference in ping times from Sydney Australia makes any real difference:
Texas - 203 ms
California - 196 ms

I guess Califoornia being closer makes the difference - maybe?? So based on this what would be yor recommendation for my new VPS plan that I am about to sign-up for. Or should I be doing the tests at various times throughout the day and week to verify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

From a real life point of view, I've run servers in California, Texas, Virginia and Chicago. I haven't noticed any 'real world' difference between them. Having said that I picked California only because it is slightly closer, but I'd have been just as happy going with Texas.

California has double data, but apart from that there are a few threads here that talk about the difference between the 2 data centres.

(I'm in Victoria, Australia)

A difference of 10ms is unimportant. Your nerves don't transmit data quickly enough for your brain to perceive such short durations very well.

A difference of 10ms is unimportant. Your nerves don't transmit data quickly enough for your brain to perceive such short durations very well.

Agreed. I'd say 50ms+ you would notice but 10ms is negligible.

You can check out my handy dandy FAQ about this here.

Compounded over time, those extra few milliseconds CAN add up to produce a very tangible extension of time spent downloading a large file, but if maximum throughput is a critical issue then an overseas solution should not even be considered. Fiber optics or no, it still takes light longer to travel halfway around the world than it does to travel a few miles.