PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) + Wordpress

Varnish + cPanel never works out well. The only existing Nginx plugins have many flaws as well.

Litespeed would be a good option for you. I'd absolutely get rid of WP Supercache. That thing is an evil mess.

LSCache for WP works really well, and there's a memory-based caching plugin I found that works really really well but I can't remember it's name right now :(

@KH-Jonathan Do you have any articles regarding performance comparison using Litespeed and LSCache on WP?

I have tried some of memcached plugin, but still no lucks. I hope you remember the plugin name.. :)

@KH-Jonathan Do you have any articles regarding performance comparison using Litespeed and LSCache on WP?

I have tried some of memcached plugin, but still no lucks. I hope you remember the plugin name.. :)

Maybe it was WP-FFPC? That's a memory-based plugin that works with APC/APCu and Memcached. I use it on some small personal WP sites and it's easy to configure, but can't speak much about the performance. Will certainly be better than some of the more popular disk/rewrite caching plugins though.

Maybe it was WP-FFPC? That's a memory-based plugin that works with APC/APCu and Memcached. I use it on some small personal WP sites and it's easy to configure, but can't speak much about the performance. Will certainly be better than some of the more popular disk/rewrite caching plugins though.

I'm using WP-FFPC now since it worked with PHP7-memcached. While I can not use Batcache because it didn't work with PHP7-memcached.

But I have a minor problem, sometimes it did not flushed the cache as we set in the exipiration time settings. So I have to flushed it manually sometimes. @KH-DanielL Do you have any suggestions how to periodically flushed the memcached? May be via cron jobs or else?

Hello All,

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but i was wondering if i could get some advice on configuring an optimal caching mechanism for my server and one domain in particular..

Here's my setup: CentOS 7.3 (64bit VPS-6=6.5GB RAM), cPanel/WHM (latest), Apache 2.4 prefork + MPM-ITK, php 7.1 + php-fpm enabled.

The site in question is expecting large traffic for a few days, and it is critical to make a good impression;
it is a pretty simple WordPress (latest) site; right now, i installed WP Super Cache and mod_deflate is on, and that has improved response time greatly...

However, i've not yet installed or configured 'real' caching mechanisms..

Already installed are:
mod_cache (Apache)
mod_cache_disk (Apache)
php71-php-opcache (PHP)

but, aside from installing them, i've not modified any config files.

What i'd really like to install and configure properly are:
mod_cache_socache (Apache)
mod_socache_memcache (Apache)
and APCu, but i can't find it in any cPanel package and, though i've no fear of the command line per-se, i'm very reluctant to install something that may only bring limited performance but introduce great instability...

oh, and, to make everything more complicated, i made the WP site all https for no good reason (aside from the coolness factor)

So, basically, any (constructive) input you may offer would be most welcome -- especially as regards configuration options

Thank you, and sorry for the hijack!!

PS: i modified the php-fpm pool settings for the domain with the following settings:
pm.max_children = 12
pm.max_requests = 200
pm.max_spare_servers = 8
pm.min_spare_servers = 1
pm.process_idle_timeout = 10
pm.start_servers = 1

@petersconsult

Most people that go after PHP-FPM don't need it, and really shouldn't use it. They simply read online that "PHP-FPM is great" and then they must have it.

Since you mention having a single, busy site I do indeed think you can take advantage of it.

What you'll find far superior, however especially when you go adding caching, it Litespeed + LScache. It will cost you a bit, but it's the better (and significantly simpler) solution.

Try this: Litespeed + LScache, LSCache WP Plugin, ZendOpcache for PHP.

I think you'll be quite happy with that setup. Forget WP Supercache and most other WP caching plugins. The majority of them are horrid.

Thank you for the input @KH-Jonathan, i will definitely look into that!

i've noticed that you don't hold WP Supercache in high regard, to say the least, but i do have to say that, in testing using Apache ab, webpagetest.org, and subjective feel, it made a *huge* difference in speed and initial response time (first byte)...

i do understand, however that real caching mechanisms like the ones you mentioned are much better...

Full disclosure: the site has just a few pages with no 'dynamic' content; it's just a simple WP site that will give (static) information during a very large 5-day event, which will also hopefully attract the attention of press worldwide (i know, my client has big hopes, but they've done big things before)...

i did install opcache, but i did not configure it; i will most likely install APCu and mod_socache_memcache and try to configure it all so that it works well...

Any hints and/or links to 'how-tos' would be infinitely appreciated..

Last edited: